Chapter 11

Ines came down the wall with rapid and silent movements. She was trained for exactly that kind of missions, so she was confident that she wouldn't make any mistakes. She slowly entered the forest and followed the small light ahead. It was like a white glowing stream that showed her the way.

After minutes of walking, she gradually saw a small group of people gathered together, talking in hushed tones. She bent down behind some bushes, close enough to hear them, and far enough to stay undetected. So far so good, she thought in relief.

'Peter!'

Ines' eyes went round from fear. She couldn't believe his blunt indifference towards her orders, or the importance of them staying under the radar.

'Shhhh. Be quiet!' she scolded him. 'Why did you come? I told you to stay put!'

'You have a history of messing up.'

Ines gave him the most terrorising glare she could master and turned her attention to the group of those unknown people.

'...careful. The city is well guarded,' cautioned one of them.

'Hmph. They are weak little creatures.'

'It will be a walk-in.'

'Make sure you take the right one. We can't afford any mistakes,' spoke again the first one.

As they prepared to go, Ines watched them intently. She could easily count nine of them if there weren't more in hiding. They wore peculiar clothes made of bright colours with beautiful patterns on the sleeves, capes and masks that hid their faces, and top boots. Their hair was light and long, either braided or loose.

'They are elves!' Matthew said in surprise, as if to confirm her thoughts. 'What are they doing so close to the city?'

'Something is going on. They must not make it inside the city. Let's go!'

'Finally, some action.'

Matthew drew out his sword in excitement, and Ines noticed that it was the one from the storehouse, the one she had specifically said not to take with him.

'Matthew! I told you to leave that sword behind!'

'When have I listened to you, buddy?' Matthew gifted her with his biggest smile.

Ines groaned and stood up. They didn't have time for arguing. She tailed the elves, her sole goal being to catch up with them and hold them back, until someone on the wall saw them and sounded the alarm. They would have to move fast if they wanted to make it in time.

The trees passed by them in a blur while they run in the woods with all their might, past through branches and leaves, over trunks and through dry mud. They run without hesitation, their goal was set, and they depended on them.

Ines saw them exit the forest and pushed herself even harder. The elves had found a blind spot on the wall where the soldiers were scarce, and that infuriated Ines. They had kept track of the weakest part of the wall, waiting for the right time to attack—they had masterfully planned their onset.

'Come on!' she shouted to Matthew right beside her.

Together they charged at the elves. Despite their small number, the elves possessed powers that could easily surpass the humans' weapons, so Ines had to be on alert for anything. At least she and Matthew had the element of surprise and took advantage of the elves' confusion.

Ines attacked her nearest victim, a man who didn't have time to react. She hit him on the head with the hilt of her sword, temporarily knocking him out. She was lucky enough to surprise another one who had his back at her.