Chapter 17: The Black Carriage

Today is the day to visit my lovely Maria, I wonder how is she doing today. I even woke up earlier to ready myself because of my excitement. It's my chance to troll around the Duke's residency...

Yesterday, I received a letter with an invitation from Duke Evan to visit his residency. According to the letter, Maria is doing good and the duke is doing his best to make his daughter comfortable in his manor. However, Maria is picky with her food and told him that she wanted my cooking.

As a good sister-in-law, it was my duty to make my brother's wife happy, I was actually planning to bring my brother along with me, but he has some business to finish and we cannot interfere with that since it is connected to the successor thingy.

I actually feel bad because after I told him the news he began sulking because it was a missed chance for him to see his wife, I mean I can understand but I don't get the feeling, It was only days, not months and it's not like they won't see each other for years. 

Hah, youth., but I hope that he'll be better soon. After all, we only need to wait for eight days.

"Good morning, Nico," I said when I saw my father's red-haired butler "What are you doing here?" I asked, I was on my way to my carriage with my lady-in-waiting, Selena.

"The Marquis asked me to check on you, and if it's possible, he would like it if you let me come with you" He replied. Nico is a very capable butler and he was good at everything, but for him to come with me, it was really necessary. 

It's not like the Duke is a dangerous person. 

"Well, I'm all good. There is no need for you to assist me as well" I replied. "I am sure that the bodyguards that my father assigned for me are really capable" I glanced at the two muscular men who were escorting me, they both flinched as they turn their heads away. 

How cute, they are shy.

"Besides," I paused. I raised my hands to tap his shoulders. "The manor needs you the most, okay?"I said.

It's not like I am really confident that nothing bad will happen to me.

The truth is, I have my own men who are capable of protecting me. 

They are somewhere, they are anywhere if there's a simple problem they would come out. Of course, I got them from Leonardo, and I know that they are trustworthy. They won't let me die or get injured...

Because if they let that happen...

"Anyway, where's Gabriel? Did the meeting start? I haven't seen him since I woke up" I asked. Yesterday, I almost stayed with my brother all night to comfort him, The fact that he is sulking because he cannot come with me, feels nostalgic. 

I even made him milk to ease his mood. 

He was like that when he was a child, whenever I have some business to go and I cannot take him with me, he would usually act like that, and to calm him down I will give him milk and cookies. His favorite is the one that I baked, Of course.

But now that he grows up, he won't probably do that anymore, except if it was about his wife. Maria is an exception.

"You're really devoted to your brother, My lady" Nico bluntly replied. "No wonder you're still single."

"Oh? Why don't yah marry me? You're single as well, aren't yah?" I replied more bluntly. I chuckled when Nico cleared his throat as he seriously glanced at me. "HAHAHA, I'm kidding, don't take it to your heart" I said

"My Lady, I believe you shouldn't play jokes like that. Your father might kill me once he heard it" He replied. He took a deep sigh. "Anyway, If the Lady doesn't want me to assist her, then I shall leave," He said politely as elegantly bows.