Chapter 1

"Hmph! Finally." Sherlyn sighed as she dropped the last box of luggage in her new room.

She looked around the room, that's painted in earthy wall colours, it was spacious than her old room in Southfields. The window beside her bed offered the scenic view of the Rockstone mountains surrounded by tall pine trees, and fog.

The one thing she loved the most about her room was the Balcony, that gave the unobstructed view of the mountain. She already made plans to spend the rest of the evening in the swing of the balcony, reading her favourite novels with a cup of coffee.

"Pumpkin." Her father, James Priestly called making Sherlyn walk back into her room from the balcony. "Marcie is here."

Marcie Jones was Sherlyn's cousin and the daughter of Mr. Preston Jones, who was Sherlyn's maternal uncle. It was Mr. Jones, who convinced James to move to North city from the South fields, after he saw how lonely James and Sherlyn were feeling after Mrs. Priestly's death. He thought it would be a refreshing change for them.

When Sherlyn walked into the living room, she found Marcie speaking with her father. In his mid-forties, James looked not an year older than thirty five, people often remarked that the father and daughter duo share the same looks, with the soft brown hair, heart-shaped face, and pale skin. Except for her green eyes that she inherited from her mother, over her father's brown one's.

"Sherry, I missed you?" Marcie said enveloping her in a tight bear hug.

"I missed you too, Marcie." Sherlyn smiled looking at her chirpy cousin.

With the amount of time they spent together, she feels Marcie more like a sister than a cousin.

"You girls have fun, while I go out and catch up with some old friends." James said as he grabbed his coat from the closet, before walking out of the door.

"I am so glad that you are here, Sherry." Marcie said in a cheerful tone as she followed Sherlyn into her room. "I can't wait to go on the girls day, and night outs, I was getting bored staying at home with my brothers all the day." She huffed.

Unlike Sherlyn, who was a single child, Marcie had three brothers, while the elder one helped his father in his furniture business, the younger twins were in the high school.

"Aren't you happy about moving here?" Marcie questioned as she noticed a forlorn look on Sherlyn's face.

"I miss the South fields, and the southern suburbs." Sherlyn sighed as she remembered the friendly neighborhood she lived in.

"I miss South fields too, but darling, you gonna love this life, you just need to go out and see the world." Marcie tried to cheer up Sherlyn, "On that word, Maggie is throwing a party at her home tonight, you should join me."

"No, Marcie, I don't like parties." Sherlyn declined softly.

"That's because you have never been to a proper party. You are going out with me tonight and that's final, live out a little, little birdie." Marcie said giving a shoulder bump to Sherlyn.

"Marcie, no I can't___"

"I am taking permission from your father on behalf of you, and you are going out with me tonight, I don't wanna hear any excuses there." Marcie said as she rummaged through Sherlyn's wardrobe to find a perfect dress. "Besides, it's Friday night, it would be a perfect opportunity to meet our friends before you start the college on Monday."

"Hmm___ you need a wardrobe upgrade too." Marcie mumbled as she went through the piles of long skirts, sweaters, and jeans.

"I am comfortable with my clothes, Marcie." Sherlyn chuckled as Marcie scrunched her face holding a Vintage style skirt and shirt in her hands.