Chapter 1

Arabella Garcia

Clad in her plain white ankle-length dress, Arabella Garcia walked the quiet alley of the church. Her moistened eyes lit up when they found the familiar statue situated at the far end of the lane. She hastened her steps and halted before the statue. She kneeled down and tightly pressed her eyes closed, causing tears to squeeze out. She clasped her hands together and bowed her head in front of the holy cross. She started murmuring in her soft angelic voice.

"Father in heaven, I thank you for giving me such a beautiful life. I am grateful to you for all the blessings and kindness you showered on me. I ask you for just one more help. Please, make Ruby get well soon. I found her today outside my room all drenched in rain. She was stiff and barely breathing when I took her in. She hasn't opened her eyes since then. Sister Teresa says, she won't be able to make it. Please, god...Please bless her with your kindness. I will sweep clean the front of the church twice a day, I promise," tears streamed down her cheeks as she prayed ardently to the almighty.

Today, in the morning when she opened her room's door to head to the church to do her prayer, her eyes clapped on a bundle of soaked fur lying in front of her room. The bundle wasn't moving. She crouched down and started stroking the fur. The tiny kitten was as cold as ice. Her kind heart reached out for the stray kitten. The indiscernible rise and fall of her body worried her to no end. She gathered her in her arms and brought it inside her room. Arabella gently laid the kitty on her bed and swathed her tiny body with her warmest blanket. She tried to feed her but the kitten didn't open her mouth.

After several attempts, she ran outside and called for Sister Teresa who was one of the physicians of the orphanage. Sister Teresa was in her office when Arabella burst in with a concerned look and requested the older woman to accompany her to her room and tend to the ill kitten.

Sister Teresa rose from her chair and followed the 17-year-old girl who was famous in the orphanage for her kind soul and pure heart. Sister Teresa couldn't help but wonder how the kitten knew where to go for help.

The kitten was in critical condition. Sister Teresa deduced that the kitten had suffered the whole night in the rainstorm yesterday. Regret immediately washed over innocent Arabella. She would have been alright, had she not shut her door. The kitten had come to her in search of shelter and now was fighting for her life. The notion brought tears to her eyes.

Sister Teresa wasn't surprised at all when she saw tears in her eyes for the poor fellow. She and everyone in the orphanage were used to her too compassionate nature. The older woman left after giving her some suggestions.

And that is how Arabella found herself inside the church, seeking his blessings for the almost life-less kitten lying in her bed.

She came back to her room. Her stomach grumbled many times on the way as she had skipped her breakfast in her desperation to get help.

Ruby as she had named her, was still sprawled in her bed. Only her head was peeking out from the blanket. She slept next to her on her side and started stroking the pooch.

"Wake up, Ruby," she whispered and, call it a miracle, the kitten stirred slightly. Her hand froze and she jumped up into a sitting position. A bright smile crawled across her lips as she watched the kitten with hopeful eyes.

The kitten stirred again, this time with more strength.

Arabella sprung off her bed and rushed over to the bowl in which she had poured water for her. She fetched it in a matter of a second and kept it in front of the pooch. The kitten crawled towards it and started lapping the water.

Arabella was happy beyond measure. She managed to save a life.

As far as she remembered, Arabella had been living in this orphanage. She has no memory of life outside this orphanage. Sister Mary told her that she was three when the cops had handed her over to the orphanage. Her parents were drug addicts and died of an overdose.