ten

[

[ . . . ]

TW: Mentions of suicide

THE ROOFTOP WAS SURPRISINGLY SILENT.

Sitting on a small blanket on the rooftop, Jiyeon looked out at the city. The city lights were a welcoming sight. Thousands of lights had been spread across the city like flower petals on a windy day.

Jiyeon was fully aware of the footsteps that were approaching her but she couldn't bring herself to turn her head. Her phone was held in her hands, pressed against her chest as Jiyeon glanced down at the world beneath her feet.

Despite it being in the middle of the night, the city was still alive. It was almost as if it was alive during the night, never during the days. Seoul was always busy, there was not a time of the day where Seoul wasn't busy.

'If you're here to tell me to not jump, then let me beat you to it ━ I won't jump,' Jiyeon muttered as she heard the footsteps stop.

'Then I won't tell you to jump,' Heeseung said and Jiyeon felt a presence beside her.

Turning her head to the side, her eyes made contact with a pair of legs.

Heeseung drew a shaky ━ nervous breath ━ before speaking. 'How are you?' he asked and sat down, making himself comfortable beside her.

'Better,' she said.

Things felt better, calmer than before. Perhaps it was because Heeseung was there with her.

No, she doubted that.

Perhaps it was because she had somewhat come to terms with how she was going to end her own life.

It had been a decision she had been pondering on for years. But now, she finally had it.

'I'm happy you're doing better,' Heeseung spoke, his soft voice reaching her ears and Jiyeon's heart skipped a beat.

What a pity it would be to leave him.

Jiyeon didn't reply. A frigid breeze kissed her skin, making a wave of goosebumps rise on her skin.

'Look I━ I know it's hard but there are people who can help you; I'm willing to help you,' he offered and Jiyeon's lips pulled into a smile again at his kind words. They made her heart swell, but she was quick to push the feeling aside.

She felt his hand take hold of her own.

Nervous, Jiyeon felt nervous.

'I'll be fine on my own. I know my thoughts are dark but I don't want to burden other people with them,' Jiyeon spoke with a low voice.

Heeseung drew a small breath, 'it makes me worried when you think of yourself that way.'

'There's no reason to worry about something that's already gone,' Jiyeon said, a tinge of apathy in her words.

'But you're not, you're here right now. You're here with me, holding my hand,' Heeseung said, giving her hand a tight squeeze.

Jiyeon glanced down at their hands.

He was right.

'Before I came here. . . were you going to jump?'

'I may not value my life but I am not delusional,' Jiyeon began, 'I know the jump won't kill me. When I take my life I want to succeed.'

'Why, Jiyeon? Why do you want to kill yourself so badly?'

'Don't you want to be free?'

Heeseung let out a small breath as soon as those words left her mouth, almost as if the way she delivered them seemed to take him off guard.

Without saying anything else, Heeseung wrapped his arms around her.

[ . . . ]