The Darknight Hero

The last few hours consisted of you walking through Mondstadt and exploring the city while meeting various people that you had grown close to. You had seen various things that could only be found in Mondstadt and Mondstadt alone and bought some souvenirs from shops in the city. It was definitely a fun day for you.

To your surprise, your stomach grumbled and you blushed in embarrassment.

Laughing, the girl standing next to you said, “Do you want to get some dinner now? It’s been a long day.”

“Sure. That would be good. So what’s your favorite food?” You asked the girl, Amber, an acherer of the knights of Favonious that you had recently met.

“The Honey Roast from Good Hunter is definitely one of the best dishes to have,” Amber exclaimed as she brought you to a table in front of the restaurant she was talking about. “It’s super good! But then again, there are so many other dishes that you still have to try.”

You sat down across from Amber as the two of you waited for the owner, Sara, to come and take your orders. Soon enough, Sara came up to the two of you and Amber ordered for the both of you. She had ordered some Mondstadt Hashbrowns, a Sweet Madame, Chicken-Mushroom Skewers, Crab Ham and Veggie Bake, and of course last but not least, the Honey Roast that she so dearly loved.

“I think this is a little too much for us to finish,” you stared at your companion for the day as soon as Sara had left.

Realizing how much she had ordered, Amber scratched her neck, “Sorry… I got a little too excited since no one usually asks me to order for them.”

“I’ll remember to stop you next time when you order,” you chuckled at the now embarrassed archer.

While waiting for the food, the two of you engaged in a conversation about the history of Mondstadt. However, with the way that Amber was, you weren’t able to learn much from her.

~~~~~

“That was an exceptional dinner,” you sighed in contentment. “The food here is really something.”

“Definitely,” Amber agreed wholeheartedly.

Laying your head on the table, you started regretting how much you had eaten since you were now facing the consequences of eating much more than you usually do. You felt like at any moment, your stomach would burst with how full you were.

“Oh no!” Amber exclaimed, abruptly standing up. “Look at the time. I have to meet up with Jean. Sorry y/n but I have to go now.”

“No problem,” you waved your hand. “It was a fun day! Thanks for today Amber.”

She immediately ran off and disappeared into the night. Forcing yourself up, you stretched a bit before setting off towards the back gate of the city. Since you had a large dinner, it would be best to work off those calories by lengthening your walk home. 

The lamps around the city started to light up as you were walking through the walkway towards the back exit. As you made your way down the stairs, you were immediately greeted by a chill that ran down your spine. Instantaneously reacting, you brought out your spear and put your guard up.

However, before you could even do anything, a figure cloaked in black jumped backwards and missed you by an inch. The figure ran forward without giving you another glance and attacked his opponent which appeared to be a hydro abyss mage that was assisted by hilichurls. The anonymous fighter held out a claymore that was enshrouded in flames and swung it with great force toward the mage.

“Ooh-” the abyss mage crackled before being attacked and teleporting away.

As if expecting that, the fighter threw his sword right at the moment the abyss mage appeared to his left. Still enshrouded in flames, the sword hit the abyss mage with terrifying accuracy and broke its shield. With that, the mage fell unconscious. 

Immediately, the figure jumped towards his claymore and grabbed it in his right hand before placing both hands on the hilt and holding it to his side to prepare for a powerful attack. Enveloping the sword with even more pyro power from his vision, the man released a powerful phoenix that radiated a very hot heat.

With that, the enemies disappeared to particles that flew into the night sky before disappearing from view.

“Diluc?” You muttered as you stared at the figure you had watched fight.

“Y/n?” Diluc responded back.

“I never thought that you were a knight of Favonius,” you blurted out without thinking.

Not too long ago, Amber had told you about the Knights of Favonius who were tasked with keeping the city of Mondstadt safe from harm. You would have never expected Diluc of all people to be a part of Knights. It just never seemed like something that he would do.

“Where did you hear that ridiculous thing from,” Diluc scoffed. “I hate the Knights of Favonius. Do not pair me with them.”

“Oh. Sorry. I just heard from someone that it was the job of the Knights of Favonius to protect Mondstadt and since you’re here fighting in the city, I would think that you were one of the knights.”

“I have no intention of working with them or involving myself with them,” Diluc started walking outside the city.

Quickly jogging to catch up to Diluc who clearly walked at a faster pace, you smiled, “Oh so like the infamous Darknight Hero.”

Diluc abruptly stopped and choked a bit, “What is with that condescending name? I don't understand what does on through the minds of the people when they decided to give me such a name.”

“So you are the infamous Darknight Hero,” you started laughing hysterically. “The so-called cold hearted Master Diluc is the infamous Darknight Hero.”

Diluc gave you a cold glare before leaving you to your hysterics. 

“I’m sorry,” you huffed, trying to catch your breath from laughing. “It’s pretty cool, all sides considered. Despite how much you hate the Knights of Favonius, you still care about the city. I find it admirable. In all honesty, I find this secret identity of yours much better than you being a part of the Knights of Favonius. The air of mystery suits you.”

“Where did you learn all this,” Diluc questioned you.

He knew without a doubt that the information that you were divulging to him was not something that some stranger to Mondstadt would be able to know. Especially since it was about him of all people. 

“Secret,” you whistled playfully.

Walking by his side, you gave a small smile. One of the first people that you had talked to was the one and only Acting Grand Master of the Knights of Favonius, Jean the Dandelion Knight. Apparently, she had heard somewhere that you and Diluc were somewhat close and wanted to meet you. From there, she had told you some things about Diluc and you pieced together the information that was given to you.

Diluc Ragnvindr, a man of little words but carried a big heart. The fact that he was simply misunderstood was something that you had realized you and Jean and talked together.