Chapter 9: Work

I woke up Sunday morning to my phone ringing loudly. Patting the comforter for my phone, I finally felt the hardness of the case. I stared at the screen looking at the bold white letters of Ryan's name. Before I could answer he hung up, I had 5 missed calls from him and it's only 9:00. I rolled to the edge of the bed and slowly walked to one of my two pearl colored love seats. As I sat on the thick plush seat, removing the heart shaped pillow, and placing it on my lap as I crossed my legs. When I called him back, he quickly answered...

"Mackenzie!" He screamed in my ear.

"Yes! Yes....what do you need?"

"I need your help with this, I can't do it. I've been up all night trying and I can't. The numbers and labels are hard to remember, I can't do it, it's too much." He continued rambling on and on. At times I didn't know what he was saying, I couldn't help but feel slightly frightened by his strange behavior.

"Ryan, Ryan, Ryan, just calm down...and take a deep breath."

"I am calm. Don't tell me to calm down!" Ryan yelled at me.

"Ok, I'm sorry Ryan. You know...I'll come over, I'll get dressed right now." I was confused to what was happening with him. He wouldn't stop talking fast.

"Are you lying? You don't know where I live. Don't lie to me Mackenzie."

"I-I'm not lying, just tell me where you live or text it to me." I tried to keep him calm but I don't think it was working.

"I'll text it to you." That was the only thing he said before hanging up on me.

A few minutes later he sent me his address. Weirdly, I wasn't scared to see him even though he was slightly scaring me. I knew Ryan would never hurt me, if anything he would protect me. I flew into the bathroom to clean myself. Soon after I went to my drawers to find jogging pants and a tee shirt. 

*********************
I drove into Gross Point knowing that his house would be a nice size, but I didn't know he lived in a mansion. I parked in front of the house checking the message Ryan sent me. Looking over the numbers slowly, then staring at the address on the house. Realizing that the address was the exact same, I suddenly felt a knot form in my stomach. I drove onto the long grayish driveway. Once going around the full circle of the driveway, I stopped in front of his front door. Staring at the house from the car window, I didn't want to get out of the car. For some reason I didn't feel very good about going in. I looked over my clothing and realized the jogging pants didn't look very presentable.

Soon I grabbed my bag and got out of my car locking the doors, not that I really needed to. When I made it to the door I straighten my clothes. Before I could knock someone opened the door. It was a little old white woman with white hair, round glasses, and wearing an all black and white maids uniform. Before I could say anything she spoke.

"Ryan's in the dining room..waiting." She spoke very calmly to me. Her finger pointing in the direction of the dining room.

I went the direction she pointed, while admiring the openness and spaciousness of the his home. Something straight off of tv...I didn't know where to go so I continued to walk straight. Eventually, after the long walk, I stopped in the dining room with a long table with someone's back facing me. Oddly, there were no pictures on the walls or throughout the house. I stared at the back of the person, I could tell it was Ryan. His large muscles flexing through his shirt as he wrote something down. I slowly walked over to him placing my hand on this shoulder for a second before standing next to him.

"What took you so long?" He asked while looking up from his work.

"Be happy I'm here." I said, pulling out a chair and sitting down with my bag in front of me.