you are loved (requested)

The feeling of your phone vibrating repeatedly between you and Hailee on the sofa distracted her from the film.

"Someone really wants to talk to you. Are you going to answer it?" She teased only to frown when she saw you staring down at the screen, watching text after text appear. "Is everything okay?"

She couldn't help but ask. She saw the name on your phone. It's your boyfriend, who she secretly despises, and the number of texts that she caught a glimpse of was astounding.

"Yeah. Fine." You mumbled as you tried to resume watching the movie.

She couldn't, though. She's your best friend in the whole world. You've known each other for years. You've always had a different kind of chemistry though, both of you having feelings for each other in ways that best friends don't.

But that's not what bothered her so much about this relationship you're in. She's met this guy and you won't admit it, but he's terrible to you.

She can see it from the obsessive texts and the number of times he'll call. She's seen the names he calls you, heard the way he speaks to you. She sees the way you wear those long-sleeved shirts, even when it's way too hot to. You always claim they're new and comfortable or you're coming down with something because you're cold when it's ninety degrees.

She's about had enough. She wonders if you have to. She doesn't know how to confront you about it. But as he continued to text you and she continued to catch glimpses of them only to see him call you the most horrible names anyone could use against someone they claim they love, she couldn't take it anymore.

"Hey," she whispered as she reached for the remote to turn the movie off.

"Hailee, I was watching that."

"Yeah, I know. We'll continue in a few. There's something we need to talk about."

"Okay. What is it?"

You acted so innocent, so clueless. She knows it's because you're probably too afraid to tell someone about the things you deal with, especially someone so close to you.

"How's Ben?"

Your breath hitched at the mention of your boyfriend's name.

"He's,"

"Toxic." She finished for you. "Hurting you? Physically? Mentally? Emotionally?"

"All of the above." You whispered quietly as you toyed with your fingers nervously. "How'd you know?"

"You're not as good at hiding things like you think you are, especially not when it comes to me. I'm your best friend, y/n. I love you, I care about you. This isn't okay!"

You stared at your lap, feeling the tears sting your eyes.

"Tell me about it. I want you to talk to me. You can trust me."

"He gets jealous." You admitted and watched as Hailee laid her hands over yours. "Especially of you. He thinks there's something going on between us. He doesn't like it when we hang out. He calls me names. He tells me how worthless I am, how he's the only one who will ever love me because no one else in this world would ever find me good enough to do that."

It took everything in her to keep from breaking down. The tears did fall from her eyes though. How was she supposed to sit there and not cry when you're falling apart.

"He was so nice at first. I thought he loved me and cared for me. But... I think he hates me." You sniffled. "He tells me how disgusting I am. He's so... mean."

You looked at her, tears streaming continuously down your cheeks.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I was afraid to. I've never told anyone before. I knew he'd get so mad at me."

"Shh." She shushed softly as she pulled you into her arms, holding you closer and tighter than ever before as you cried together. "It's okay. I understand."

She was angry. She felt it building up inside her. But not at you. Rather at the jerk that you're with; the one who had the audacity to hurt you so terribly, to damage you and make you feel so worthless.

"I hate him. I always have. I always knew you'd be better off with me, but I never told you because I was afraid I'd ruin our friendship but I think you love me the way I love you."

You pulled away slowly and then put your forehead on hers.

"I do." You confessed, tears still falling down your cheeks. "I don't want to do this anymore, Hailee. I don't want to be with him anymore. I don't think I can handle it. I want to feel loved, not worthless."

"You are loved." She said as she cupped your cheeks. "Screw him. Screw what he says. You are so loved, y/n. By your family, your friends, me. I love you very, very much."

"I love you too." You whispered before sniffling. "I don't know what to do though."

"Don't worry your pretty little mind about it. We'll figure it out. I'm going to help you get out of there and I'm going to keep you safe. You will never have to doubt yourself or wonder if you're loved because you are."

You put your head on her shoulder. You continued to cry. Out of relief, knowing you were in the arms of someone who truly loved you. Our of relief that, perhaps, you're going to be far away from the man you once loved but now view as a monster. You cried because you knew there was an end in sight.

You feel like you're where you're meant to be now, right there with Hailee.