Chapter 40

Kyle

Waiting. At this specific moment in time, it seems like there's nothing worse I could be doing. I should be at his bedside, helping him as he provides information about his pathetic little abuser who's probably hiding in the comfort of his own house right now, all whilst his son lays in utter agony. Battling the injuries which covered his frail figure.

If I had it my own way, I'd have the cops speed to that house of his, dragging him away like he fucking deserves. I mean, what parent, well what individual believes they have the right to endure such pain upon their own kind? They are meant to be there for their children, support them and help them go off into the real world. Not deprive them, and a shame them within the only place they can call their own home.

He's a coward. One who is unable to fight his own shitty battles, and thus feels the need to take that out on another person. It's sickening, heart wrenching,
And completely avoidable if the higher ups go about this in the correct manner. And I sure as fuck won't back down until Jameson gets the justice he deserves.

"Are you Kyle?" I divert my full attention to the female officer before me, a concerned look drawn upon her features. I nod my head, standing eagerly as I hope to hear information about what they've said to Jamie.

She smiles faintly. "Follow through with me please, Jameson has requested to have you by his side before we continue." I follow her long strides as she leads me to the very room where Jamie lays, eyes swollen from more than just his injuries. He struggles to sit upright as I rush to his side, aiding him to wipe his tears in the softest manner possible.

I dab his eye corners with my hoodie sleeve, my eyes staring into his as he gazes anywhere but towards me. He's ashamed. Ashamed of me seeing him in such a vulnerable state, yet he knows I try my utter most to comfort him during such tough times. This has to be the toughest yet, but I know he can power through this. He will win this battle, and his so called father won't see daylight again.

"I can't talk about this anymore." He whimpers, lip quivering almost on command. I nod, looking back towards the officers who put away their note pads and pens.

"We'll try again later, okay? Please help us to help you Jameson. We need to organise you a safe place to stay whilst this investigation goes further. Once you're dismissed from hospital that is." The male officer explains, a sorrowful look on his face. The two nod their heads in time with one another before exiting the room one by one.

I look at Jameson beside me on the hospital bed as I take a seat, him seeming to look anywhere but towards me. Silence lingered a little longer than I wished for, but I could sense the need of it on Jameson's behalf.

"How are you feeling?" I ask dumbly, unsure of the best approach to end the thickening quietness.

He turns his head slowly, eyes being the last to face towards me. He looks at my chest upwards, until his familiar eyes meet mine. I frown as he sighs. "Everywhere hurts." He bluntly explains.

"I mean emotionally Jay, there's no way you're thinking right mentally right now. Even so, you really need to explain everything to the cops. They need to take your father down in the best way possible, lock him away to the point where daylight never crossed him again." I speak carefully, thinking of the best way to go about it. I'm sure he understands the severity of what he needs to do, though I can't help but to say it to him verbally myself. I have no doubt in my mind that Jay wants his father locked up ten times more than I can even begin to imagine, but now is the most vital part to play in the beginning of this whole ordeal. If he as much as misses one single major detail, it could lessen the amount he could be locked away for by months, years even.

Jamie clenched his jaw, a movement which I failed to miss as he brings his arms which are decorated with marks and bruises up to fold across his chest. "I know what I need to do. Thanks for the concern, but that's the least of what I need from you right now Kyle."

I flinch physically at his words, a slight bit of agitation crossing my features. "Obviously your physical well-being comes first for me, I just thought I'd mention that too." I say, retracting my hand which was just brushing the skin of Jameson's arm in a back and fourth motion.

"Well I'd appreciate it if you didn't do that." He bitterly comments, once again turning to face the opposite direction from the side of him I stand.

"Sorry for caring about getting your abuser taken down as soon as possible." I shoot back instantly, the initial frustration growing quickly within me. I mean, was he seriously making this a deal right now? As if he doesn't know I care about his injuries and well-being enough, he thinks all I am trying to focus on is the person-beater in this situation? He must be joking, right?

No subject relating to physical and emotional abuse is easy to talk about, but when it gets to the point where my partner has been in hospital for multiple times due to it, I'm going to encourage him to speak up. Even if that makes me the bad guy in Jameson's books for awhile.

I lick over my lips, choosing my next words carefully "I do care about your physical being too, you know?" I eventually sigh.

Jameson nods, the stern look decorating his features not faulting. I don't like seeing him this way. I know I can't possibly begin to imagine what he's feeling, and the injuries I can do nothing but just look at must sting like a bitch. But I know Jamie, and I know he'll put off talking to the officers as long as he can, and this time he can't do that.

"I know it's hard," I whisper, voice cracking. "But please, let's take him down one last time. For good."

"How do you like the sound of home made stew for dinner, love?" I jump up at the sound of my mothers voice as she enters into my room.

I can't think of a more appropriate response than to shrug at her words, my mind unable to stop whizzing around like god knows what.

It somewhat annoys me that I have such a big part of my life hidden, if not the most important part, from my mum and I'm unable to tell her about my current struggles. But when I think back to the possibility of her reacting negatively in any way, the worries simmer down rather quickly.

"Kyle, are you even listening?" She complains, folding her arms across her chest.

Again, I shake from my thoughts as she speaks, breaking the silence of the entirely silenced room. "Sorry, could you repeat that?" I plea, a sheepish smile working it's way onto my lips.

"Right, that's enough" she shakes her head, placing her body down on the bed beside me as I lay. "What is making you so distant recently? You never listen to what I say. I always have to repeat it. You're always daydreaming in another universe, and not a good dream either." Damn.

She sits and awaits my response, but it's not coming. I think over a thousand responses there in the moments silence, but coming out to her is not one of them. I know my mother wouldn't disapprove of something I can't necessarily choose, it's more my dad's reaction I'd be concerned about.

I also feel like telling them about my secret relationship isn't necessarily the best thing when my boyfriend is cooped up in the hospital, barely able to hold himself upright. I'm more than sure Jameson would prefer to be feeling his upmost best when I'm comfortable enough to tell my mum about him. So why did now feel like such a good time to tell my mum?

"Mum I have a boyfriend."