Chapter 59

"I'm going to check on the others," Yuna tells Ryujin and leaves the room without waiting for a reply.

Her friend has been standing in front of the full-length mirror quietly for a few minutes now, observing herself in her wedding dress from top to toe.

Yuna knows that there must be quite a mix of emotions going through her friend's heart and mind so she understandingly gives the woman some time alone.

Ryujin takes a deep breath once the door has closed and finally lets the smile she has been holding in spread on her face.

She's not vain but today, she gladly admits that she looks more radiant than ever. Most importantly, she looks happy. She hasn't seen herself like this in decades. Even when she had first met Yeji thirteen years ago and won her back ten years later, there was always that fear at the back of her mind, the anxiety of being left behind again, of separating, that holds her back from being able to fully let herself be carried away in her emotions.

But today is different. Today she is going to let her guard down and cast away all fears and every reservation. She will enjoy her once-in-a-lifetime moment.

She turns to the right, smoothens the creases of her dress, then turns to her left and repeats the action. The dress is not your typical wedding dress. It's not long or fancy with complex lace patterns or glittery beads and it doesn't have one of those long trains that require her maid of honor to walk behind her and fix it every few seconds. In fact, it can easily pass as just another white summer dress although not exactly a casual one.

It's part of the deal she made with Yeji. They want to keep the wedding and everything in it simple yet elegant. They want it to show who they really are – to remain themselves – so exuberant make-up and dresses are out of the question.

And frankly, Ryujin prefers it that way.

She takes another deep breath, fixes her hair then hears a soft knock on the door.

Ryujin turns around just in time to see Yeji slipping inside the room. The woman stops in her tracks when their eyes meet and Ryujin can't help but feel shy when Yeji inhales sharply – her eyes moving slowly from top to toe, taking in the sight before her.

"What are you doing here?" asks Ryujin. "You're not supposed to see me before the ceremony."

"I can't help myself. Had to make sure my fiancée's still here," replies Yeji. Now it's her turn to feel shy because Ryujin is observing her from top to toe with an adoring, loving look in her eyes. "You look gorgeous," she says as she takes a step forward. "Breathtakingly gorgeous."

"So do you. And don't worry. I'm not running away from you ever again."

Yeji approaches Ryujin. "Love the dress."

"Thank goodness." Ryujin is still smiling when their hands reach out for each other, fingers intertwined. "I was right. You're the most beautiful bride I've ever seen."

"That goes for you too. This strangely reminds me of that day thirteen years ago when I saw you standing in front of your painting at that gallery."

"I wasn't wearing a wedding dress back then and I wasn't even smiling, I think."

"True but there was something about you," Yeji says, moving slightly closer, tilting her head. "Something alluring," she whispers right before she kisses her, pressing her lips tenderly against Ryujin's.

Ryujin wraps her one arm around Yeji as she parts her lips, holding her close, not even caring about whether their dresses would get wrinkled or creased. Her heart is about to burst with so much joy and love that she involuntarily tears up.