They're Back

"Come on." A voice whispered. "Time to get up."

I responded with a groan that was muffled from the pillow my face was laying in. It couldn't be any later than 7 in the morning. I reached back, and grabbed the bed comforter, and yanked it over my head.

I heard Dream laugh softly.

"You know the drill." He said. "I would have thought you'd be used to this by now."

"How can anyone get used to waking up this early?" I responded from my facedown position.

"Would you rather just lay here and do nothing productive all day?" Dream asked.

"Um...yea. Yea I would." I said, turning over to the side where he was sitting on bed. I looked over at the nightstand and saw a small white curved object sitting there. I squinted to look at its conclaves shape. It appeared to be circular, and it had some sort of black design on it-

It was Dream's mask.

"Shit." I said in a surprised manor. I turned back and shoved my face into the pillow.

Dream just laughed.

"What?" He said. "We've known each other for...how long? And yet you're scared to see my face?"

"If I do recall, more or less of that time was you trying to use me for...well I'm not sure. But we weren't exactly friends." I said. "And I'm not sure I want to associate a face to the voices that used to torment me."

"Maybe..." Dream said thoughtfully. "But that's not why you panicked and nosedived into your pillow right then, though, is it?"

I turned over to my other side, facing away from Dream. I contemplated his statement for a minute. Why was I hesitant to see his face? Because almost no one else had? Or because of what I said earlier? Was I really afraid that seeing Dream's face would somehow re-enact the voices in my head that had been quiet for months?

No. That's ridiculous. That's not how that works at all?

Right?

Well I'm not sure. It's not really something I can just research. Because besides my brother, no one else I knew of ever had voices in their head. To any one else, it just sounds like what it is: crazy.

"I don't know." I said finally. "I guess it's just kind of your trademark or something. You've made so much history, not just intertwined with me, that it feels weird, almost wrong, to associate a face with it, you know?"

"That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard." Dream responded. "It's not that deep."

I didn't respond.

Dream sighed.

"But I'd you don't want to see my face, that's your choice I guess." He said. "And I'll respect your decision, weird as it is."

I thought about it for another moment before deciding.

"Can you just, put it on this time? The mask?" I said. "Maybe I'll know eventually, but not today."

"Whatever makes you comfortable." Dream said.

I heard the small sound of the mask being removed from the nightstand. After a few seconds, Dream spoke again.

"Okay, it's all clear." He said. I turned around in bed to see the familiar green hoodie and smiley face mask. "Now get up. You need to eat, and then go train. Your leg won't heal by laying in bed all day."

There was so many flaws in what he just said, but I didn't feel like arguing, so I sat up in bed, pushing my hair out of my face. Dream stood up, and walked to the doorway of the bedroom of the temporary house we were staying at. Well, at least until Dream handled...buisness with Tommy.