Chapter Thirteen

Once they got upstairs Nancy exclaimed, "Look here, there is garden soil on the floor in front of this window. This proves that someone has been claiming up from the garden at times.

"The window was also unlocked earlier," Bess added.

"There is nowhere for anyone to hide in here. But you girls lock your rooms from now on. If your door does not have a lock, I know to make a makeshift barricade." Ned said considerably.

"Looks like we left quite a mess of wood out there," Bess said almost absentmindedly, as she glanced out the window.

"Perhaps you just need to rest, Bess. We can finish up the work outside." George offered. Bess just nodded, yawned, and went off to her own room to lie down.

Once they were back outside, Ned commented "You girls must be pretty hard workers from all the wood you gathered. Doesn't look like there is much left that needs to be done. If you want I can finish this work and you two can start on cutting back the dead greenery around the house."

"Whatever you think is best, Ned. My back is a little sore anyway from all this hard work. So, a change of pace would be helpful." replied Nancy, as she glanced around the yard looking for the hedge clippers.

"We only have about an hour before sunset. I think it would be fun to make a campfire out of this rubbish." Nancy said. The others agreed with nods before she before went back inside to ask the staff about supplies. About thirty minutes later, when Nancy was just finishing setting up the folding chairs Ned asked "Hey, guys, there is stuff inside the kitchen to make smores. Would you want some before dinner?"

"Sounds really good Ned. We should have the fire ready shortly." Nancy agreed before setting down to rest.

"I'm going to wake Bess. She would be very angry at me if I let her miss out on this." Nancy said before going back inside. When reached the top of the stairs leading to Bess's room something felt very off. She felt goose bumps forming on her arms and began to hear singing, but it sounded far away. "What in the world?" Nancy whispered as she walked closer to discover its origin.

Once she reached the hallway, the lights flickered twice, then dimmed. Looking forward, she saw a young woman in a long white gown which looked very old-fashioned. She was standing in front of Nancy's room. She looked quite short, with very pale skin, and seemed to in some sort of trance. Nancy tried to walk closer, but the floorboard made a sound under her weight. In response, the young girl lifted her head to glare at Nancy. Before the strange figure began to run swiftly down the halls with Nancy following close behind.

Nancy was amazed at how quickly the girl could run before they made a sharp turn. Nancy tried to give chase, however, she tripped on a long oriental rug and hit the floor! Scrambling to get back up on her feet, she continued the chase. Finally, the girl led her to a dead end before disappearing into thin air.

"How could she have just vanished? My gut tells me either she's a real ghost or there must be an entrance to a secret passageway!" Just like before Nancy studied the thick paneled wall, she was looking for a hidden spring and the faint outline of the doorway. She even went so far as to try to pull the small table from the wall. To her surprise, Nancy found it bolted to the wall.

This was just the clue Nancy was looking for! This meant that the wall behind the table must be the hidden door and the piece of furniture had been attached so that it would move along with the cleverly hiding it all the better!

"But where was the spring? It had to be hidden here somewhere unless it only opens from the inside. If it only could be open from within how the girl used it?" Nancy pondered this, as she absentmindedly grabbed hold of a wall sconce for support. Suddenly it moved slightly to the side. "What in the world?" asked Nancy, as she stumbled forward surprised at the sudden motion? Then she tried to turn it further. This triggered the wall to move slightly letting Nancy push it open. Inside it looked very dark, obviously since this was hidden inside the walls of the home. A chill went down Nancy's spine as she peered inside. 

Bonus Content:

An idea of what the hidden panel might look like.