51. Reminiscence (II)

(A/N: this is to answer a question I was asked in the previous chapter: The memories Lee Hyunjin has lost are any and all those related to Kim Jaehyun and Park Haejin.)

.
.
.
.
.
Kim Jaehyun had never been this confused in his whole life.... why would you have a grave dug before your own death? Or was it that the doctor helped him set it up so people wouldn't look for him?

No.. Hyunjin wouldn't do something like that.

Lee Hyunjin sighed, "it's actually a bit of a long story." He was about to speak of the forbidden topic of the Lee family. One he never told anyone before but due to the circumstances he felt he needed to say it.

"I.. I had an older brother that used to take care of me and I was very attached to him, but he died or at least we think he did during my elementary school years. He went missing  around that time and we never found him

Kim Jaehyun understood. He never knew Lee Hyunjin had brother but on some days when he visited the Lee home, Lee Hyunjins parents always looked oddly happy to see him watching over Lee Hyunjin and there were some days all three of them would seem extremely depressed but they wouldn't tell anyone why.

"If you know the way my family is then you'd know that we'd never speak of hyung in front of others because of how the entire house would immediately fall into despair. My family, we're the kind of people that get sad easily—all of us, especially if my brother was mentioned, mom had even gotten sick with worry for some time after hyung went missing," Lee Hyunjin explained, there was evident sadness and grief in his tone, "anyway, it didn't matter to who, we never spoke of my brother outside us three so even if you and I were close, you probably don't know about him. We didn't want to believe he was dead so we kept looking. But when my mom and dad caught the plague they told me that it was time to let him go and to live my life. So when they died I had gravestones made for all three of them including my brother... but the person who carved my brothers stone made a mistake and wrote my name instead. Isn't it ominous?" Lee Hyunjin chuckled soullessly.

"I didn't have enough money to have it changed, I spent everything on my parents illness and the gravestones. So that's why there's a grave with my name on it."

The room went silent again. Lee Hyunjin didn't know what to say and Kim Jaehyun wasn't speaking.

He felt a mix of patheticness and self loathing for not knowing about Lee Hyunjin brother, he felt regret for pushing away Lee Hyunjin when he was struggling the most with the loss of his whole family. He was always grieving... from the time that I met him.

A series of coincidences that evolved around Lee Hyunjin managed to make it seem like he died.... Kim Jaehyun couldn't help but think. What would've happened if he showed up at the exam centre after being 'dead' for two years?

But the fact that he didn't die... doesn't change the fact that he tried to

"Hyunjin, do you want to get your memories back now?" Kim Jaehyun asked rather cautiously, it was unlike him to ask in such an uncertain tone but he really couldn't find any other words to say.

Surprisingly Lee Hyunjins answer came immediately, "no, I don't want to. I'm sorry if this offends sunbae since you were obviously an important person in those memories but that would also mean.... me trying to die had something to do with you."

Unsurprisingly, Lee Hyunjin was as honest as when he was a child, he continued to speak, "Jaehyun Sunbae, isn't it fine like this?" He focused his eyes on Kim Jaehyun who was also looking at him through the mirror, "it may be selfish, but I don't want to remember those things that hurt me and I suspect that if I did... you and I wouldn't be talking to each other like this, so isn't this fine?"