Chapter 8. The Dragon's Cave.

Chapter 8.

The Dragon's Cave.

As soon as the children had seated themselves on his back, the dragon lifted his wings and took off from the ground. Lynwood looked down a little uneasily, and then lifted his face to the sky. He was flying! The only thing that really spoiled this first flight was the fact that he was flying on the back of some unknown dragon, and he wasn't sure where this dragon was taking him. Higher and higher they flew up the Great Mountain. Lynwood was sure they were higher than any man had ever climbed. They got to a place where the trees became bare and the rocks became large. Here at one point the dragon descended and they saw they were headed to the mouth of a large cave.

"He's taking us to his cave!" Sofia whispered, delight and wonder in her voice.

"I noticed," was Lynwood's dry response.

The dragon flew inside, then rested his feet on the ground and began walking. The cave looked more like a tunnel; it just went on and on. There was little light, and it became darker and darker.

"Ooooo it's spooky here." Sofia shivered a little. "It's a good thing we have a dragon with us to protect us!"

"Ummm right," Lynwood muttered. "This has got to be the weirdest thing that is happening to me!" He shook his head. "I must be dreaming, I must be, this just can't be real!"

"It's very real, Lyn," Sofia smiled. "Cause I think it would be very odd if both you and me were having the same dream."

"Stop calling me Lyn!"

"Sorry."

At last the dragon stopped. Lynwood climbed off his back and helped Sofia get down and the two of them took a look at their surroundings. They were at the end of the cave, a little light coming in from cracks on one side. The light was dim, the sun had just about set and the few rays that managed to get through the cracks would all but disappear soon. On one side was a large pile of hay, twigs, pine needles, and moss. To the left of the cave was a clear mountain pool, other than that the cave was bare and grey.

"Did you notice something wrong about this cave?" Sofia was frowning.

"Wrong?" Lynwood raised his eyebrows.

"Yes, look around, what do you see?"

"I, uh," Lynwood turned his head this way and that way. "I uh, well I see dragon in the cave."

"And besides that?"

"Besides that, there is this pool, and rocks, and over there is a nest of some sort, and of course there's you."

"Yes, yes, but besides that."

"Besides that, well, nothing." Lynwood shrugged. "What is all this leading too Sofia?"

"There is no treasure in this cave!" Sofia sighed with frustration.

"And..."

"Oh Lynwood, come on, everyone knows that dragons always keep treasure in their caves. It's in all the stories; the large cave, filled to the brim with treasure of all sorts! but look, there is none here, none at all."

"I guess the stories were wrong." Lynwood shrugged again.

"But that's not fair then! It is a well accepted fact that dragons always breathe fire and keep treasure in their caves!"

"You know, Sofia, just because something is considered a well accepted fact, won't necessarily make it true!"

Sofia was silent for a moment; then looked at Lynwood a little annoyed. "You know what, you just contradicted yourself!"