Part 45

The hotel room was just as luxurious as the previous one, although slightly smaller. And eerily quiet...

I didn't bother to unpack my bags and only placed them in my room before plopping down on the couch. I flicked through a few shows before finally landing on Gilmore Girls.

I got lost in the plot of Rory and Dean's drama. They had to be the most infuriating couple in TV history. Not where I was busy watching in the series though. But once you know, you know. You will never view Rory in the same light again after a certain point in the series. Her character simply becomes irredeemably damaged.

I still hadn't read William's letter and was trying my best to forget about it. I knew that if I read it right now and it contained something  I wasn't prepared to read, I would react in an emotional and probably inappropriate manner.

My phone rang, with Cat's number flashing on the screen.

Well, that's strange... Cat never phones me.

"Hello?" I answered, muting the TV.

"Oh my gosh Lizzie, why didn't you tell me you knew the William Knight?" She practically shrieked through the phone. 

I had to move the speaker away to prevent permanently damaging my eardrums. 

"What does it matter Cat?"

Why did she care whether or not I worked for William?

"Uhm, hello, he's just the most eligible bachelor. Not to mention the most gorgeous man to ever walk the face of the planet! So imagine my surprise this morning when my feed exploded with pictures of the two of you flirting  and caressing one another on the red carpet..." She babbled before I interjected.

"I'm sorry what?" Her words stopped me dead in my tracks, "What pictures? What are you talking about?"

"As if you didn't know! The pictures of the two of you. You wearing a neutral dress, him undressing you with his eyes. I am so jelly." Her voice came out more nasally than usual.

In true Cat fashion, she spoke her mind, not bothering to limit her inappropriate remarks around me.

If Cat had seen it and felt that it was worth phoning me about it, how bad were the photos?

Oh no...

"Listen Cat, I've got to go." I rushed out, trying to cut our conversation short.

"Oh, tell him I say hello or better yet, see if you can sneak an ab pic!" She got out before I killed the line.

I wasted no time in typing William Knight into the search bar of Google. Surely enough, images of William flooded my screen, each showing him in tuxedoes from social events or suits from business dinners. 

Cat had one thing right, he certainly could pull off a suit...

No, we're mad at him and need to stay focused on the task at hand. 

My finger hovered over the words "mystery woman" which appeared under the search bar. I wasn't sure what I would find there though. Maybe Cat would be right and the internet was full of misleading pictures of the two of us by now. Or maybe it would be of him with different women. I wasn't sure which alternative I preferred at this moment.

Once I clicked on the tag, photo after photo appeared on the screen of us. And only the two of us...

There were pictures of him helping me out of the limo, him pulling me to the side, another of him whispering in my ear and a whole bunch of us way closer than was deemed appropriate, staring longingly into each other's eyes. 

We were staring at each other like lost lovers who have been separated for decades to only now be reunited.

How pathetic was it that I had stared at him like that at the beginning of the night? If I had only known the truth then...

One of the images that were particularly up close, had the very original headline "William Knight with Mystery Woman at Last Night's Charity Ball".

Most of the article seemed to be complete garbage under the disguise of celebrity news.

There was a brief description of the event, what it was about, why William was there and his family's involvement over the years. There was also some lines about what William does for a living, i.e. why he is so very important in the eyes of the world. None of this was news to me, however.

Then we got to the part where his love life was being discussed and my interest peaked. On my original searches, there was very little to be found on this front, not that I was looking for this specifically...

Maybe this article would be able to give some more insight on the matter? Maybe it can confirm what Catherine had disclosed last night so that I have something more concrete to fall back on. Because celebrity gossip was such a reputable source of intel...

William Knight is notorious for being very private about his love life. After rumours died down about his alleged engagement (which was never confirmed from either side) to Sophia Romano, wealthy Italian heiress, no further report had ever surfaced about his love life. That is, until recently when he started making public appearances with this mysterious brunette. William has remained silent on the identity of his female companion, as we have come to expect from him. Sources have, however, disclosed that he is currently on a romantic getaway in Germany with her. Well, Mr Knight, colour us intrigued! We are all on the edges of our seats, awaiting the wedding announcements.

What the actual hell...

Wedding announcement? Are these people for real?

I knew William was private but was he so private that the first time the public saw him out with a woman they thought he was going to marry her? 

And what had they meant when they said "alleged engagement"? Wasn't it a sure thing? Even though he was very private, surely everyone would know if he was tied down as his aunt had made it sound. Wouldn't they?

I closed all of the windows, feeling more confused and with more unanswered questions than before. 

One thing was for certain, I am not engaged to and nor will I ever marry William Knight.