20. Murderous

AARON

I returned to my cabin after finishing with the meeting at 6. The preponement of launch is literally a drastic measure.

The production had to be increased ten times and even the capable operations and PR heads are overloaded to the extent that they're spending more than 15 hours in office every day. Not just theirs, but every department is overburdened.

Speaking of me, I'm not even getting time to keep track of other affiliate companies of FuTech.

My eyes travelled towards the door as it opened without knock and Rachael entered in.

"You here?", I asked her with furrowed brows.

"Actually... I just came here to wish you. Happy Birthday big bro!", she moved forward to me and embraced me in a hug. She never even tried to wish me in five years. Why today all of a sudden?

"Thankyou Rae.", I said expressionlessly. After the warm hug I looked at her with a baffled expression, discerning what brought up in her this sudden confidence to wish me.

"What?", she raised her brows, "Dylan told me that Lett wished you and you didn't make a fuss like always. I thought you're in a good mood today, so I couldn't stop myself. I wanted to wish you badly.", she happily informed.

I rolled my eyes. Now Scarlett is also inspiring people to do prohibited things.

Rachael doesn't know why I didn't fight with Scarlett. Damn, she looked more furious than me, that time.

"Can I order a cake?... just a small one.", she asked in a timid voice.

I glared at her, my serious eyes candidly screaming my response to which she replied with a nervous smile, "Okay, no cake."

A knock on the door dragged our attention, and in came Lily with a file that I had asked her to fetch, previously.

"Sir here is the file you asked for." She placed it on my table.

"Lily, call Ms. Walter here.", I asked. I still want the details of their progress.

"Sir, she left half an hour ago. Should I call her back?", Lily asked.

"No, it's alright. You can go.", I ordered and she left the cabin.

Despite the office hours being till 5, Scarlett normally works till 7. Why did she leave early today?

I was pondering when Rachael said, "I don't know what's wrong with her today. She didn't even had her lunch."

"How do you know?"

"Because I and Alex came here to her cabin, at lunchtime to discuss about that uh... whole robbery thing. We both ate but she was engrossed in her work and denied to eat saying she wasn't hungry. She also looked too bland today.", she said.

Something is definitely not right with her today.

"And yes, that reminds me of how you accused her. Alex told me everything today. You are such a big asshole, you know. I never wanted to say it, especially not on your birthday, but you deserve it. You should go and apologize... Oh wait,... who am I saying, the person who don't even know how to say sorry.", she griped and sighed.

"A little chivalry won't harm you brother.", she professed.

"I don't need no one's advice on personal development.", I said looking at my laptop screen.

"As we all know.", she rolled her eyes, "Bye, I need to leave. See you at dinner.", she left with those words.

I said nothing. All I could think is that she's somewhere right. I had been too harsh yesterday. But then again, it wasn't my fault that she left me for the worse five years ago.