Chapter 18

A hurried knock on my door had me rushing out of the bathroom, toothbrush in my hand. Knowing William didn't knock anymore, I figured it could only be dad coming over to check on me. But boy, was I wrong.

The tan blonde princess-lookalike that stood there with a smile brighter than ever was not my dad.

"Elina!" I couldn't have hid the surprise in my voice even if I wanted to.

She put her arms around me in one of her squeezing hugs. I wasn't sure if I was awake or not, considering I hadn't heard from her in months, but when she pulled back and looked at me with a slightly guilty look, I knew she was real.

"I'm sorry I didn't reach out after you left me that note," she said, sighing deeply. "It was just hectic. It's no excuse, really, but James and I just went on our honeymoon, we just got back last night, to Damian sitting alone in our house drinking all of James' expensive whiskey. I...I didn't know you and him were—were you?"

Oh, God. I winced, shaking my head a little. "Can I...?" I gestured to my toothbrush. She nodded eagerly, before walking into the small apartment and letting me finish brushing my teeth.

I took a good few extra minutes to brush and rinse my mouth, just so I could mentally prepare myself for whatever conversation Elina wanted to have about Damian. As I walked out of the bathroom I grabbed the book I borrowed from her, and sat it on the coffee table before sitting down next to her. I decided to try to avoid it all by asking, "Where did you end up going for your honeymoon?"

"Oh, everywhere!" She clapped her hands enthusiastically and went in to tell me about their first few weeks island hopping in Hawaii, then they flew to the Caribbean and stayed at a luxurious hotel for a week, before finishing it all off on an Italian island. She'd definitely been tanning, and she looked lovelier—happier—than ever. Until she grabbed one of my hands and practically forced me to look at her. "If I'd known there was something between you and Damian I'd've tried to convince him to let you stay. I knew you were changing your mind about the whole thing, I could see it!"

"It's alright, really," I told her, looking down at her hands holding mine. "We both agreed we shouldn't do anything."

"I've never seen him so down. Last night I was positive something terrible had happened, and for him it had! My husband's stupid stone-faced best friend was crying! Oh, God, don't tell him I said that, it wasn't crying, it was just a tear or two, but...James told me after that he'd noticed Damian looking at you, and the gun lessons? People'd seen you kiss, girl!" The words poured out of her like she'd held them in for months, not hours. She barely even stopped to breathe! And then she leaned closer, lowering her voice, even though we were alone. "Diana told me it looked like you didn't even know anyone else was around when you kissed. You kissed him!"

"I don't think my neighbor upstairs heard you!" I closed my eyes and leaned back against the old couch. Everything felt good this morning; I woke up feeling refreshed and somewhat okay about my love life and my growing relationship with William—though my feelings hadn't grown any more yet. I sighed and opened my eyes to stare at the white ceiling, as I said, "Sorry, I didn't expect all this on a Monday morning."

Elina let go of my hand, patting my thigh gently, before getting up. I didn't really care what she was doing, if she was leaving or needed the bathroom, but after a few moments I heard rattling in the kitchen, and when I sat up to see around the corner she came back with a tub of ice cream and two spoons.

She sat the tub down between us and drew her legs up under her. "Lay it on me," she said, handing me a spoon.

"You're friends with Damian," I protested, turning around slightly so I could face her.