Chapter 20 (Part 1) || I-I Can't Swim

Sunscreen? Check.

Hat? Check.

Cucumber and Cream cheese sandwiches for lunch? Check.

Swim shirt? Check.

Picnic rug? Check.

Phone? Check.

Wallet? Check.

Towel? Check.

"Alright, I think that's it. I have everything," I announce to Elle excitedly, placing my notepad down on my bed and un-clicking my pen.

"Did you seriously make a list with all the things you need for the beach?"

"Pfft," I scoff embarrassedly, "...Yes."

She laughs and frowns when she sees my choice of equipment set out on my bed, "You made sandwiches too?"

"So no one gets hungry."

"And a swim shirt? Seriously Bronte, this is something a five year old would bring to the beach!"

I shrug. I thought my choice in equipment was just fine. I have plenty of sun protection, and at least with a swim shirt I won't have to display my half-naked body to four boys. I can't imagine how embarrassing that would be. They'd probably compare me to all the other girls they hang out with, who are skinny and toned and gorgeous.

"Come on Bronte, loosen up! Show off that sexy body of yours."

"Sometimes I question your sexual orientation."

"And sometimes I question your self-esteem. You're a stunner, Bront," she frowns, "Own it."

I purse my lips and hesitate, before eventually sighing, "Okay," I reply, stuffing all my equipment in my swim bag - minus the swim shirt. "Lets go. The boys are waiting out the front," I sling my beach bag over my shoulder and walk to the door.

"Oh I can't believe they actually invited us. They're so popular!" Elle cries, "I'm starting to like your over-friendly nature. Look at where it's taking us - the beach with four hot, toned and probably-shirtless boys."

▲ ▲ ▲

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there now?"

"No."

"How about now-?"

"Jesus Alec, shut the fuck up!" Blake barks in annoyance. Alec slumps back in his seat miserably, his head bowed down and his mouth forming a pout.

"Aww, poor wittle Alec," Elle teases with a laugh, and Alec glares back at her.

"Shut up."

"Are Reece and Chase following us?" I ask Blake conversation-wise, and he nods his head.

"Yep. They're in the car behind us," he nods his head in the direction of the rearview mirror and I peer through it. Sure enough, in a black car, Chase and Reece are following suit behind us.

"Are you excited about the beach? I'm sorry if we're the party crashers but Alec, Reece and Chase invited us and I just thought it might be fine, and since I haven't been to the beach in ages I thoug-"

"Bronte," Blake interrupts. "I'm glad you came, okay? And yes, I'm excited. I get to try out my new board."

"Surf-board?"