Wattpad Original
There are 24 more free parts

anxious

adjective ~ feeling it showing worry, nerves or unease about something

I could tell we were getting close when I felt the familiar hum of energy from Raven's magical wall. Our original plan was to bring Gaia with us but she had decided to teleport when she 'saw' us arrive, due to her older age.

Some of the wolves in our pack got disorientated the closer we got, and I had to remind them to stay on our course. We headed further North following my markings. The louder the energy hummed, the slower we crept until I could see a slight shimmer ahead of us.

That's it. I muttered.

Phoenix nodded silently and called off the advance. I was suddenly startled when shimmering magic appeared from next to me, darkness surrounding it. With a flash of light, Gaia appeared with a small smile on her face. She flicked her wrist and the portal curled in on itself and vanished.

"Hello dear." She smiled at me and ran her fingers through my fur. "You've grown so well."

I let out a gruff bark, so as to not be so loud. Wolves around me shuffled nervously as they knew we were getting closer to the action. The sun was slowly setting, meaning we had arrived in good time.

Phoenix shifted and stood bare beside me. A small yelp of surprise left my mouth but he merely chuckled and rested his large hand on my head. I shook him off in distaste, not wishing to be petted. He quirked an eyebrow but retreated his fingers.

"We're going to hide out here until the sun goes down. Gaia, have you covered our presence?" He spoke quietly.

She nodded. "I have. It shouldn't belong. My daughter's magic is strong, I can feel it drawing me in."

Phoenix grimaced and licked his lips. "Let me know if anything changes, Gaia... Stay quiet team."

We grunted our replies of agreement, a small hush falling over us. Many wolves fell onto their stomachs, intently focused on their surroundings. We were about five hundred yards away from the border, so there was plenty of ground between us to not be overwhelmed by the magic or be seen by any patrol.

Phoenix had shifted back to his wolf fur when I began to pace. His large head nudged me and glanced towards a break in the trees. I turned to where he was gesturing to see the sun setting on the horizon.

I sat down at the sight of it, forcing myself to focus on the colours. His wolf sat beside me, nudging his head into my neck. A deep rumble came from his throat, his wolf trying to calm my nerves.

We sat a while longer, his fur warming my own. We blended as one, our black fur matching each other perfectly. I could feel the mate bond thrumming, our hearts beating in sync. His presence was helping me to calm down my nerves until they were a faint hum.

Once the sun disappeared beyond the trees and the sky grew dark, the last half an hour flew by. The moon shone in the sky, the day being marked as done. Phoenix ran his head along with mine before he stood, taking the warmth with him. He shifted to his skin form and went to stand beside Gaia.

"Ready to move closer?" He asked.

She nodded and Phoenix turned to gesture a select few wolves forwards. I got up from where I sat and made my way over to where they gathered. Phoenix caught my movement and gave me a low grumble.

I'm coming with you. I stated.

He paused, scanning me. 'I don't want you to get hurt.'

I huffed and dug my paw into the soil. I've been here before, I am coming. I'm not standing on the sidelines.

He let out a small huff but nodded his head. His hazel eyes glanced around the group and Gaia shuffled on her feet.