CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Finding Alina would be the hardest part of the journey. There had been a few sightings but nothing entirely conclusive so Liliya had spent her time trying to plot a course. They wanted to cross the Fold and they had come from West Ravka so there was only a certain number of destinations she could have assumed they went. It was a frustrating number but do-able.

She had spent most of the afternoon plotting out routes and talking to herself, mostly. Without Roma or Lev to confirm her suspicions, she found herself rather lonely. Her whole world had changed so quickly to the point where she had none of her best friends. Even Arina was gone with Fedyor to find Nina.

Without Roma or Lev or Arina, she found herself increasingly lonely. She didn't particularly mind but sometimes reassurance that her tracking paths were correct was nice. Now all she had was Aleksander who had become increasingly engrossed in material to do with Morozova's stag and connecting himself with Alina. She had Ivan too, in a way, but she didn't particularly enjoy speaking to him.

Ivan always had something to say and most of the time it was never something helpful or even remotely productive. He just liked to be annoying. Her fingers tapped against the table as she bit the inside of her cheek. The new route she had plotted made the most sense and based on the sightings that she had been told about, it seemed accurate. Her head tilted and then she nodded.

"This is the happiest you have looked all day," Aleksander commented as he walked in. This time, he didn't have any papers in his hand. Liliya's head shot up and a smile graced her lips at his appearance. She gestured for him to come over.

"Based on the sightings and the easiest but most hidden ways, I plotted out the probable route. I needed to know where they had been, if anywhere and I think this makes sense," Liliya nodded. Aleksander stared at the map before he shook his head. Liliya's eyebrows pulled together as she looked up at him, "What?" She asked.

"All the sightings were false but the First Army have spotted her in Ryevost," Aleksander said. Liliya's face dropped completely as she looked over everything that she had been given. She sighed and nodded her head. She grabbed the maps and scrunched them up, leaving them on the table.

"We best get ready. Sun down is approaching," Liliya said as she walked back over to the bedroom. A part of her wondered how long Aleksander knew that Alina was in Ryevost and if he had just lied to keep her occupied. She wouldn't be surprised and she was glad of it, if anything but she also wished she had been told the truth.

"Milaya," Aleksander said causing her to pause in the doorway of the bedroom. Liliya turned around to face him, forcing a smile onto her lips. Though the happy glint in her eye had been lost and suddenly she was feeling the crushing weight of what had happened over the past few weeks, months even.

"Yes?" She asked, forcing the façade of sureity onto her face. Aleksander stepped closer and lifted her chin up so that she was looking into his eyes.

"We will find the Summoner," He reassured. Liliya nodded and pulled away, walking the rest of the way inside. She wanted to find Alina, of course she did, but a part of her also didn't care anymore. She just wanted Isaak dead.