Chapter twelve

As we all know, there is nothing this author loves more than a scandal, and tonight's soiree promises more than its fair share, courtesy of the recently widowed Lady Trowbridge. Some may call her celebrations too provocative, and I would caution any young lady from getting caught up in the sensual nature of her fêtes. For one scandalous move between an unwed couple, a wayward touch, or heaven forbid, a kiss, would banish any young lady from society in a trail of ruin.

LADY WHISTLEDOWN'S SOCIETY PAPERS,

8 JULY 1813

"Will you stop sulking" Lady Danbury sighed poking her niece in the ribs.

"I am not sulking"

"Yes, you are. Simon will write"

Elizabeth had said goodbye to Simon earlier that day and even in the last moments she had tried to convince her friend to stay but it was in vain as the duke had all but decided to leave England. Her Aunt had even tried.

"I will miss him, that's all." She sighed. "With my brother and sister so far away, it was nice to have a brotherly figure looking out for me"

"I know my dear"

"I know what will cheer you up" Her aunt schemed looking behind Elizabeth.

"What?" She asked confused. Her aunt smirked before walking away, Elizabeth shook her head in astonishment that her aunt had simply walked away mid-conversation. "Bye then" She muttered into her drink.

"Miss Priestley"

She turned, slowly around as she heard the unmistakable voice of the viscount from behind her. Elizabeth cursed her aunt as she felt her cheeks flush.

"Lord Bridgerton" She nodded fully facing Anthony looking sinfully handsome in his dark evening coat.

For the majority of the night, she had successfully avoided this man's presence, it had turned into almost sport for her. Elizabeth hated that the viscount was constantly on her mind; if not her internally ranting over his vexing attitude, then it was her thinking of ways to dodge him or insult him. It seems even when she wanted nothing to do with this man her mind would betray her.

"It is a pleasure to see you again, Miss Elizabeth" Anthony smiled amused that it took no time at all for Elizabeth to roll her eyes at him.  "I do hope you will favour me with one of your dances this evening?"

"I— Of course." She cleared her throat as she fumbled for her dance card, which was tied prettily to her wrist with a green ribbon. She clumsily passed the card to him to sign. Angry that she was visibly nervous but Elizabeth had decided to blame her lack of composure on the sudden and unexpected warmness from Anthony.

Anthony opened his mouth to speak but Elizabeth in shock had walked away as quickly as she could muster.

Dance with Her?! She thought, why had his composure towards her changed so violently in the last few days? She could not understand him.

Elizabeth watched as she approached Penelope who was currently nervously staring at Colin Bridgerton across the ballroom. "Penelope?"

Penelope jumped and spun around to face Elizabeth. "Are you okay?"

Elizabeth studied her friend who was nervously shuffling her feet. She had only really seen Penelope at events like these where they were expected to find a husband but since neither for their own reason seem to be excelling in this area, Elizabeth usually would spend most of her time with Penelope instead.

"I - uh I am fine Lizzie"

Elizabeth was unconvinced but decided to not press her further. "So, tell me" She started as she linked arms with her friend. "How many more drinks do you think it will take for Lady Fairchild to start flirting with the young bachelors in front of her poor husband again"

Penelope laughed making Elizabeth smile that she was able to in some way help her friend. "Not long from the look of it!" She giggled.

"Did my eyes deceive me or did you give away a dance to Lord Bridgerton?" She smirked.

Elizabeth cursed herself hoping no one had noticed, but this was the ton, and he was the viscount after all. People were bound to watch.

"He took me by surprise. I had no time to think of an excuse and I am not that cruel that I would reject him"

"Not that cruel" Penelope scoffed. "You stomp on the man's foot every chance you get"

"Well..." She sipped her drink feeling her cheeks warm up. "He has been agreeable lately. I have not needed to stamp on his foot for some time"

"My, My. Did Elizabeth Priestley call the viscount agreeable? Heavens we are in trouble" She laughed. "Speaking of which I believe he is on his way over to claim his dance"

"Ladies"

Elizabeth groaned already regretting her decision. "Penelope, would you mind if I steal Miss Priestley?"

"Certainly"

Anthony reached out a hand which Elizabeth took begrudgingly. The pair made their way to the centre of the ballroom where people stood in preparation for the next dance.

"Have I told you how lovely you look tonight?" He asked as they position themselves to face each other in a line with the rest.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes yet again. "No, you may be mistaking me for another debutante perhaps"

"Miss Priestley" he sighed. "Surely you have noticed I do not waste my time with debutantes usually. Have you seen me dance or even speak to another this season?"

Elizabeth thought about it and screwed up her nose. Had he entertained any other women? After all Lady Whistledown writes him as a Rake of the highest offence. He may not entertain women from the ton but what was to say he was not spending his nights with mistresses?

"So what? I am a pity dance?" She snapped.

"You are insufferable" He muttered pulling her close as the music began. They started to move in sync with the sound of the music. "I do not pity you"

Elizabeth's cheeks flushed at the sensation of his closeness. Maybe she had missed judged him?

"Have you maybe not considered I just wanted to dance with you?" He continued. "Because Miss Priestley I -" He stopped at the sound of the singer.

Elizabeth frowned as Anthony now stood deathly still staring at the makeshift stage, she followed his eye line to see an opera singer, a beautiful opera singer who had now noticed Anthony's stare. The pair stared; the singer's eyes filled with sorrow as Elizabeth noticed a single tear on her cheek. Anthony on the other hand looked nervous, he continued to stare at the singer and then back to Elizabeth.

Elizabeth had remembered Lady Whistledown write of some opera singer that was linked to the viscount some months ago. She shook her head.

A Rake, she thought.

"Of course." she bitterly laughed before leaving a stunned Anthony.

She needed air; she was angry. So angry at herself. Why did it matter if he was a rake? Why does she even care if he loves another? She hated him.

Elisabeth could not breathe; the sound of the beautiful singer filled her ears. Anthony's beautiful singer.

Why did she care? She thought as she reached the outdoor Terrance and looked out into the dark garden. She could still the faint sounds of the singer, she needed to get far away. Elizabeth closed her eyes as she drew a weary breath and shook her head in the hopes, she could somehow shake his name out of her head. 

She needed to get away, she thought again as she ran down the garden step into the darkness.

_____________________________________________

Wow. I have no words, it's amazing see how many of you lovely people are reading my story! I started this with the mindset that no one would read, but I had to play out my little what if scenario in my head.

You guys have been so lovely and patient so I really hope you have enjoyed this chapter. :D Once again I would love to hear what you guys think? I have a drafted the next few chapters so bare with me