Chapter 16

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 2, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

Shelton was having breakfast with his spouses and most of their children when a servant appeared beside him at the table. The girl curtsied as soon as she had his attention, and said, "The sorceress Asema is here to see you."

He nodded. "Thank you. Take her to my office."

"Yes, Your Highness," she said, then left with a curtsy.

Shelton glanced around him at the curious faces of his family. "I must go speak to Asema," he told them as he rose from the table. Wildas was watching him with even more interest than everyone else, but didn't say anything, for which Shelton was glad; it wouldn't be easy to explain Coulta's situation to anyone other than those who already knew.

He arrived at his office to find Asema reading the titles of the books on one of his shelves, dressed in her usual baby blue robe. Her blond hair was tied loosely back and still seemed damp from an early-morning washing. When she heard him enter, she smiled, and he was reminded of the girl he'd grown up with.

"I was told you were looking for me," she said, stepping forward to hug him. "I haven't seen you in ages."

Shelton smiled. "I've encountered someone I thought you would like to meet. You still enjoy studying curses?"

Asema immediately looked intrigued. "Yes, but they are more rare than I had once thought. I haven't dealt with one for several years."

He went to his desk and found the paper he had placed in the drawer days ago, a copy of the letter Coulta had allowed him to read. "This is a copy of a letter that belongs to a friend of Wildas's. The man's name is Coulta and he saved Wildas's life earlier this month in Arren. He has a curse that forces him to obey the commands of whoever has power over him. Right now, he is sworn to serve Wildas. I don't fear him at all, because his actions prove that he's not a true danger. However, I would rest a lot easier if I actually understood him."

Asema took the letter from him and sat down in a chair to read it. Shelton stepped into the hallway and found a servant to bring Coulta. The man deserved to be there while Asema was trying to figure out his life, after all. Asema was still pouring over the letter, twirling her hair as she did so, when Coulta arrived a few minutes later.

"This is my friend I told you about," he said quietly. "I hope you don't mind that I made a copy of your letter."

Coulta shook his head, a flash of hope blazing in his strange black-and-silver eyes before he put on his usual expressionless mask. "If it will help, I don't mind."

Asema looked up then, and rose from her chair. She approached slowly, but Shelton could tell it was because she was looking Coulta over both with eyes and magic, not because she was uncomfortable or frightened of him. Handing the letter to Shelton, she took Coulta's right hand and grasped it between both of hers. Her eyes were closed, but he was startled to see tears soon streaming down her cheeks.

"This truly has been a curse to you," she whispered, opening her eyes to look into Coulta's. "It should not even be your curse to bear, and yet it is. You suffer from it. It forced you to take many lives, and you regret it every day. You have seen so much pain and sorrow, and I pray that it may finally end."

Coulta seemed to struggle for a moment to find his voice before he finally asked, "Then, it can be broken?"

Asema released him and took the letter back from Shelton. "Maybe we should all sit. I have much to say."

They all seated themselves in chairs by the hearth, which the servant must have gotten going again when she brought Asema. Coulta was trying and failing to keep his mask in place. Shelton could see hints of emotions warring across the young man's face.