Chapter 19

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 2, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

"We've been summoned to examine a prisoner in the dungeons," Sara told Myri the moment she arrived at the healing room early in the morning. "I thought it would be a good experience for you."

"What is the prisoner's condition?" Myri asked as she walked with the older woman through the twisting corridors of the castle.

"I was told that he's relatively healthy," Sara answered. "The person who apprehended him hit him in the head, though. We're to make sure there is no lasting issues. Though I was told the one who caught him used more magic than physical force."

Myri thought it strange that they were supposed to care about a prisoner so much. Of course, maybe the guards needed to learn information from him and had to make sure his memory wasn't damaged. That seemed logical enough, she supposed.

When they arrived at the dungeon they were escorted by a guard in a red uniform to a cell that was much larger and less damp than Myri would have expected. There was also a cot that was in much better condition than what seemed allowable for a prisoner. When she saw the way the man was dressed, she realized why.

The cell was designed for prisoners of higher social status than most. This prisoner was clearly wealthy, wearing clothes that were far fancier than anything Myri would ever be able to afford, and he wore fine golden jewelry. His expression didn't match his clothing, though; he sat staring at the wall with a defeated look on his face.

Sara turned to the guard, clearly taken aback. "Isn't that Duke Bracin's son?"

"It appears he tried to kill the Grand King last night," the guard explained. "That spooky friend of the Crown Prince stopped him."

Myri couldn't avoid a smile at the description of Coulta. She'd heard about the ball that had gone on the night before, and she had been glad not to be invited. Hopefully Coulta was starting to earn more respect than he'd gotten since being dragged off horseback their first night in Ryal.

"He woke up a while ago," the guard went on. "Hasn't said a word though. I know he's expected to be given an examination by a healer because of his father, that's why we called for you."

Sara nodded. "He doesn't seem to be too out of sorts, from what I see. I'll need to make a closer examination, however."

The guard nodded and opened the door. Another guard came over to stand at the door while the first guard went inside with Sara and Myri. It didn't take long to decide that the only effect of Coulta's blow was a headache. Sara left some packets of herbs for a healing tea with the guards, and led Myri away.

The man didn't speak at all during the visit, other than to answer Sara's questions with a simple "yes" or "no."

"You know that spooky friend, don't you?" Sara asked as they left the dungeon.

"Yes. He saved my life."

"He makes me uncomfortable."

Myri smiled. "I used to feel the same. He takes some getting used to, but he's a good man."

"I hope so, as close as he is to the Crown Prince."

Myri just nodded. It was pointless to argue or try to reassure the woman. Coulta would have to prove himself to everyone, just like he'd proven himself to her.

***

Rohan was yawning when he arrived to take Coulta to the stables. Coulta secured his sword belt as he stepped out into the hallway. "Did you have a hard time making everyone leave last night?" he asked.