Chapter 21

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 2, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

Coulta woke with a groan to a heavy ache in his shoulder.

"I'm just surprised it hasn't been bleeding more," a woman was saying.

"Probably has something to do with whatever the Second King was doing to him," someone else said, and he recognized her voice.

"No, he has no power for healing. All he can do is sustain a person, and deal with poisons, of course."

Someone prodded the sore spot on his shoulder and he winced. "That hurts," he complained hoarsely, finally managing to turn his head to the two women looming over him.

"I'm sure it does," Myri agreed, though she gave him a smile. "At least you're alive to feel the pain."

"Put more salve on it and bind it again," the older woman instructed. "I'll leave him to your care, since you know him already."

Myri nodded. "Should I start giving him tea now that he's awake?"

"Yes, make sure he gets it for the rest of the day. I'd say he'll be able to go the night on his own, though."

Memories of the day before slowly started to return as he watched Myri work, trying not to think of the pain. At least he could tell that Wildas was safe now. The curse was good for something. "How's Wildas?"

"If he wasn't the Crown Prince I'd lock him up somewhere," Myri grumbled. "He's worse than a worried mother. Unhurt, though. Just damned impatient to know how you're recovering."

"Why?" Coulta asked. It wasn't like his life truly mattered, all things considered.

Myri gave him a look that suggested she thought he was an idiot. "If it wasn't for Shelton you would have died out there, protecting him."

"I take it I was shot?"

"By a poisoned arrow," she added, wiping her hands on the apron she wore. "Shelton took the poison from you but you used so much energy trying to protect Wildas that he had to sit through the night with you, giving your body strength to survive." She picked up a wad of white linen from the table nearby. "It's a good thing he was there."

"I'll have to thank him," Coulta said with a nod.

"You're not leaving this room for a few days," she warned, wrapping the bandage around his shoulder. "Even if I have to tie you here."

Coulta could feel that he had no energy at all, so he didn't argue. She finished with his shoulder and helped him sit with his back supported by pillows.

"I'll go brew you a healing tea," she told him. "Shelton's request, by the way. Don't blame me when you taste it."

Before he could argue, she was leaving. She had barely gotten out the door when Wildas slipped inside. The prince looked utterly relieved to see Coulta awake, and Coulta gave him a small smile.

"Gods, Coulta," Wildas whispered as he sat down on a chair beside the bed. "You almost died keeping that damn vow of yours."

Coulta would have shrugged if his shoulder didn't hurt so much. "You know I don't have a choice. I did what I could."

Wildas reached out and squeezed Coulta's hand. "Thank you."

"What happened?" Coulta asked, squeezing his hand in return. "I remember arrows and throwing protective magic at you."

"I don't really know," Wildas admitted. "Rohan took twenty men out to search the forest this morning. It's just after midday and they haven't returned yet. They're trying to figure out who the archers were and if others might be out there. Why didn't you sense them before we were leaving?"