Chapter 27

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 3, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

The meeting was more interesting to Coulta than Wildas seemed to expect. He was glad to have an idea of what was going on, aside from the brief updates Wildas had given him prior to the meeting.

After the meeting Coulta was introduced to each individual person who had attended, but Coulta knew it would be a few more meetings before he could remember all of them.

"Are you feeling well?" Wildas asked when they finally left the office.

Coulta nodded. "As long as I don't need to do much with my arm today, I'm fine."

"Could you take a walk to the upper market with me?"

"Yes, but I may need to rest when we get there," Coulta admitted.

"I'll make certain you can," Wildas assured him, leading him down the passageway. "We need to purchase gifts for Anil and Myri."

"We do?"

Wildas nodded. "We're supposed to give them betrothal gifts. It's a tradition."

"I'm supposed to give you a gift, too?"

Wildas shrugged. "I'm not asking for one. Traditionally only I'm required to give gifts, but you're still somewhat expected to give Anil and Myri gifts. It doesn't matter if you don't get me one."

"I wouldn't know what to get you," Coulta confessed, feeling oddly pained at the thought of not getting him anything.

"I'm sure Shelton can help if you'd like. He'll be coming to speak with you this evening anyway."

They were startled by the sound of running footsteps coming up behind them. Coulta knew whoever it was wasn't dangerous, but he still turned around quickly to see Rohan slow to a walk as he joined them.

"I'm coming with you," the Prince-General announced.

Wildas looked slightly annoyed. "Why? Coulta's with me."

"But he doesn't need to be defending you before he's fully recovered," Rohan argued.

As much as Coulta wanted to say that he would be just fine, he knew that would be a lie. He'd used just about as much energy as he could spare that morning already, and his shoulder would only hinder him in a fight.

He met Wildas's gaze. "It's not such a bad idea."

Wildas finally nodded, though he didn't look especially happy. "All right."

"So, where are we going?" Rohan asked as they started walking again.

"To the market," Wildas replied.

"I hope you buy me something," Rohan teased.

Wildas ignored him.

Coulta's legs ached by the time they reached their destination – which turned out to be a jeweler's shop – though he hated to admit it. He hoped he didn't look as worn out as he felt, considering all the people who were acknowledging Wildas as they walked.

There were four people in the elegant shop; three older women who briefly nodded their heads to Wildas, and a young man who bowed. One of the women moved away from the group to greet them.

"What trouble are you two boys up to now?" she asked, smiling at Wildas and Rohan, before her gaze moved to Coulta. Her kind smile faded. "Oh child, you're pale. You aren't taking sick, are you?"

Coulta shook his head. "Recovering. It's warmer out than I had anticipated."

She gently took his arm and guided him to a cushioned chair beside a glass case filled with gold and silver necklaces. "I'll fetch you some water."