Chapter 40

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 3, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

It took six days to reach Arren. Neither the hardy warhorses nor the trained Guardsmen needed to rest very frequently, which allowed them to remove a day from the usual travel time. Coulta had a feeling they'd take the return journey easier after only a day or so of rest in the city.

Even knowing that Windwick had been destroyed, it was still a shock to see the entire village reduced to ash and fallen timber. Shelton's spies had burned what was left out of respect, including the bodies, before returning to Ryal. Coulta couldn't even tell where the healer's home or the stables had been.

It was late in the afternoon of the sixth day when they passed into the city of Arren and Coulta hid himself. Quiver's reins were tied to a Guardsman's saddle so that the black stallion looked more like an extra pack horse. People in the streets watched curiously as they made their way to the castle, but didn't say much.

The city didn't appear to have changed to Coulta's eye. It was still rundown and had an air of desperation to it. Coulta hadn't expected much change in such a short amount of time, though. Malryf had a massive task in front of him to ease the damage Varin and his forefathers had caused to the city and the minds of its people.

What he did notice was a small shrine in the market for Favi, the goddess of hope. It seemed that worship of the goddess had become more common since Varin's death. Coulta was glad he and Roane, Varin's other assassin, hadn't managed to completely destroy the cult despite Varin's orders.

They reached the castle yard and Coulta managed to dismount and get out of the way without issue as grooms took their horses and a guard greeted Rohan.

"Lord Malryf didn't expect you until tomorrow, but I'm sure he's eager to speak with you," the man said after giving the Prince-General a salute.

Rohan nodded to him. "I'm eager to speak with him, as well." He ordered the Guardsmen and Ralix, who had been given a plain Royal Guard uniform as honorary membership after his actions in battle, to help with the horses, then relax outside until he returned with Malryf's orders for them. Then he started to follow the guard, but Coulta put a hand on his arm, still invisible.

"I'll find him later and speak to him," he said quietly.

Rohan gave a slight nod, then continued on his way.

Coulta drew a deep breath and followed. The castle door was left open, something Varin would never have allowed, and Coulta slipped inside without being noticed. He took a side passage that he remembered by heart, and eventually found himself in a familiar hallway. The door to his former room was firmly closed, but Teeya's was standing half open, which he knew meant that she was accepting sewing work from anyone who needed it. He glanced inside and his heart leaped to his throat at the sight of her sitting at her work table, looking just as she had when he'd last seen her. If Varin had done anything to her, it hadn't left any obvious physical scars.

He made sure no one was in the hallway, then knocked on the door. She glanced up as he slipped inside and made himself visible.

Her eyes went wide and her hands flew to her mouth. He fought hard against the lump in his throat as he shut the door. Then she was in his arms, crying as she held him, and he could hold back his own tears of relief no longer.

It was several minutes before they ended the embrace, and it was when Teeya pulled back and whispered, "I should be bowing, not crying on you."

Coulta pulled her back into another hug. "Not you. Never you."