Chapter 41

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 3, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

Shelton had continued to work with Coulta and his magic since the younger sorcerer had returned from Arren three days ago. Everyone at court seemed content to believe that the threat against them had been removed with Varin's death, but Shelton had a nagging idea that something else was coming. There were simply too many questions he still had no answers to. So he kept meeting with Brother Pelles to see if he'd had any visions, sent out more spies, kept in contact with the stewards of the cities Varin had overrun, and worked on Coulta's magic.

He couldn't deny that he was also trying to distract himself from the hole burned into his heart and the grief that simply would not fade.

He was about to start a lesson on how Coulta could store magic inside crystals and gems when a messenger appeared at his office door.

"Important news from Arren," the boy announced breathlessly. "Lord Malryf wanted it sent straight to you."

"Thank you," Shelton said, moving from his seat in front of the dead hearth to take the wooden box the boy held out for him. He took it and handed over a single coin. The boy bowed, then took it and left.

The box was plain, darkly polished wood with a single lock. Sitting at his desk, Shelton easily used a small spell to unlock the box and opened the lid.

"I just want to make sure this isn't too important," he explained when he noticed Coulta watching him curiously.

Coulta got up to join him. "What is it?"

Shelton unfolded a single sheet of paper and read the words aloud, "'We found this in a hidden compartment in Varin's chambers. We don't have any idea what it is, but it gave me an uncomfortable feeling. I thought it best to send it to you. Malryf.'"

He put the note down and pulled a black velvet pouch from the box. Something small was inside, and he proceeded to tip the object from the pouch and into his left hand – a choice he immediately regretted.

He barely had the chance to realize it was a human finger bone inscribed with runes before it wrapped shadowy tendrils around his hand.

Sorcerer.

"Shelton?" Coulta's voice was unusually wary.

What do you want you unholy bastard? Shelton demanded of the necromancer.

Much to his surprise, there was no response at first. Then, Won't you speak to me?

A shot of excitement went through him and he laughed darkly, his mind already racing. "You've grown weak. You should be able to read my mind."

And you're to blame for that.

Shelton grabbed a piece of parchment and a quill, frantically writing as he replied, "I had hoped I would do more good than just stopping a useless battle."

He hoped his words were legible as he passed the messy note to Coulta and stood. Coulta squinted at it for a moment, then turned to the door. It apparently took him only a moment to get a Guardsman in the hallway to start running errands because he was back almost immediately.

I'm not so weak that I can't act against you.

Shelton began pacing as his mind kept racing. "And what are you planning to do?" He made a couple gestures at the furniture around the room.

Coulta immediately began moving things to the edges of the room.

There was evil laughter in Shelton's mind. Do you even know who I am? I know who you are, Wielder of the Violet Power.