Malina

"We do not want to invade the privacy of your pack in these circumstances, Malina."

The words came slow through the phone while the wind outside had been agressive since the morning. The clouds were reaching above our territory for another rainy night.

I wondered if the Lycans would even care to come.

My gaze would randomly fall on Alpha Rucus' statue. The wind would blow on my face and I would remember, that I had started to hate him secretly.

Our Great Ancestor didn't think of how Nathan would suffer, how my Misty and Pete would suffer.

He didn't.

He was just standing there, watching and doing nothing.

Neither did he warn my Misty of her fate nor guided my Pete in these chaos.

I looked away the from the statue and focused on Anne's voice. The mere mention of her name would boil my blood since the night she had threatened to hurt Kate.

I didn't wish to receive the call when Kate had been crying the whole day on my shoulder. Our hearts had been at edge at seeing Keira's health deteriorating by every minute. A pregnant mother didn't deserve to go through this.

But Alyssa was sitting right beside me on the couch, quickly catching her mother's name on the screen.

"We prayed whole night for Eva and the whole of your brave family. I have been wanting to come and visit everyone. How has been Thomas? Is he healed already?"

She didn't know about Keira's wound.

We could rely on Alyssa. I personally could trust her after seeing her spending whole night staying beside Kate, watching over her with me while being worried sick for her own mate. My Thomas was fortunate.

"I wish to come myself and take back Eva home. We are proud of her."

With her arrival, would come more questions about the whole plan. But would things even be hidden if the miracle actually had happened. The packs would have already known that the Lycans were manipulated successfully in bringing the cure for that poison.

Poison.

The intensity of its effect in the blood grew because of the lack of exchange of mates from the both sides. The blood needed to be diluted. But it had gone strong during these centuries of isolation.

Must I look for some dark magic that would make that border visible to me, and I would pull that rope of a curse with all my might and burn it— I wished.

But the reality was out of my control. Out of my hands. A failure of a mother I was.

I couldn't protect my pups.

Eva and Thomas narrated their experiences of the last night during the hours Stephen and Ivan worked on potions and treatments to buy us more time to protect Keira.

My heart was a mashed mess. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I couldn't believe that my little Misty didn't choose to give up and tried to make most of the chance bravely.

"Did. . . Did they find Misty?"

The news would have reached them if that had happened. We would have been celebrating.

I wondered how her mate managed to lure her into love this quickly.

The heat hadn't come this early to me especially after Frankie had revealed Gilbert's deeds to me. The wolf inside me took time in loosening herself into desires.