Ch. 10 - You Don't Count

Loki

I get up from my bed to see my clock on the wall marking 5am. After some time of observing their schedules, I had come to a realisation that the majority of the team decide to remain in bed until much later.

I went downstairs with the same cup from last night in my hand, expecting to encounter no one here, until I set my eyes on a figure with long dark hair, facing away from me on a high chair with their legs tucked under the bar counter.

"Monet?" I say in almost a whisper.

"JESUS, LOKI!" She jumped and turned my way with her hand on her chest. "Stop scaring me like that!"

I let out a sighing laugh as I approached and questioned her, "Why are you here at this early hour?"

"I could ask you to same question," she responds, turning back to her laptop which I had just noticed being the only thing illuminating light other than the natural shines peaking in front the open curtains.

"Early riser. Out of habit." Monet remained quiet. "I would assume the same for you?"

"Nope," she stated simply.

"Then please, do tell."

She let out a sigh as she turned to her left, where I had stopped to look at her.

"I just have a lot of work that I'm trying to get done before everyone wakes up."

"Well, you've clearly been unsuccessful," I said, signalling to myself.

"Yeah? Then you don't count. There. Successful."

"Always a way out."

"That's just how I work," she claimed as she turned back and starting typing once more on her computer.

My glances flit between her and her device, when I noticed she was wearing the same clothes as the night before. Had she not slept at all? Isn't it necessary for a Midgarian to receive a certain number or hours a sleep to be perfectly comfortable throughout the day?

Hmph, I don't even know why I was thinking of this. It affected me in no way whatsoever.

After a few minutes of silence with me leaning against the counter while still looking between her and her screen, Monet spoke up once more. "Why are you here, Loki?"

"Have I not already answered that?"

"No. Why are you here? In the kitchen? And not in your own room?

"Ah. Remember last evening before supper, when Thor had said he needed to inform me of something?"

"Yep. When everyone was making fun of you," she mocked in a still tone.

"That detail was completely unnecessary."

"Untrue." As our many different conversations played out before this one, I've come to realise that Monet always found a way to cause my frustration to grow. Some in more playful ways than others, but nevertheless she knew how to get a reaction out of someone. The girl is lucky she's smart and attractive.

"Moving on, he had told me later in the night when I retreated to my chambers that I am now required to make an effort."

She paused her typing and turned towards me once more. "Meaning..."

"I must," I paused from hesitation, "socialise."

She bursted out laughing as a confused look plastered onto my face.

"Whatever are you laughing for?" I asked.

"I'm sorry. You just said that which such hate and disgust in your voice, it's hilarious!" she expressed.

"Your reaction is a bit much."

"No, Please! I'm crying!"

"From what?"

"Laughter!" she screeched.

"Monet, calm down. You'll wake everyone," I say with a hushed tone.

"Since when would you care," she said while sniffling her laughs in.

"Since I was told I had to socialise. I choose to try be alone for as long as possible."

"I'm right here. That's clearly already a fail."

"Yeah? Then you don't count. There. Successful."

"Wooow. Using my own words against me?"

"Possibly."

To be fully and completely candid, I was very unsure of my emotions towards her. Was she one to befriend, or to shun completely? What makes our bond so different from that of mine with others?

Monet caused deep confusion in me, and I'm not one to be confused. Moreover, I'm certainly not one to stammer or hesitate; in my actions nor in my words. I am called the Silvertongue for a reason.

"Alright. Well I'm gonna continue my work now. Without distractions. Byebye Loki," she said, not even sparing me a glance.

"No breakfast?" I asked.

"Make it yourself."

"Fine. I'll just wait," I stated as I finally decided to walk away from her and settle on my armchair, leaning my head back to continue fidgeting with the cup that was still in my hand, as I did the day before.