Chapter 65

Jisu bursts out laughing when the door opens to reveal a disheveled Ryujin with dark puffy bags under her eyes. "What happened to you?" she asks as she hugs her friend.

"Didn't sleep. Had to get fresh bread at dawn with a deadline to catch," mumbles Ryujin who pats Jisu's back then steps aside to let her friends through.

"Cravings? Already?"

Ryujin nods. "That and the fact that she could only stomach plain bread for some reason. It's nothing crazy yet even though I won't be able to see another peanut butter and jelly sandwich for years."

"That's all Yeji unnie's been eating," explains Yuna.

"I mean, I know she loves that stuff but it really became too much to see and smell every morning, noon and evening for weeks," adds Ryujin with a sigh. "Especially since she started putting Tabasco on it."

"Ew!" Chaeryeong scrunches her nose up cutely. "Tabasco as in the hot sauce?"

Ryujin nods.

"On a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"

"Welcome to my hell. I've lost weight simply because I've lost my appetite every time we sat down to eat. I even started sneaking meals into my office or just leave the house for a quick food run or something. Otherwise..." Ryujin pretends to gag.

"Where is she anyway?" asks Jisu.

"Bathroom. She's been vomiting a lot these past few days. Her morning sickness is getting worse."

"I'll go check on her," Jisu says, heading to the bathroom.

"You do realize that the cravings are only going to get crazier, right?" Chaeryeong asks, taking a seat next to Ryujin.

Ryujin nods. "I know." She pretends to cry, grabbing Chaeryeong's arm. "Save me. Please save me."

The tall woman laughs. "You knew what you were getting yourself into, Unnie. Didn't you promise her that you'd do the running if she was willing to do the carrying?"

Ryujin deflates. "I did." She then sighs. "It's only been five weeks though. I'm scared."

"Don't be. It's going to be alright. All she needs is your support," says Yuna with a smile. "And it's okay to knock on our door, you know. We'll help."

"Yes, Unnie. Anytime you need bread or whatever weird food she's going to crave, let me know," adds Chaeryeong while fixing Ryujin's hair. "I have restaurant kitchens and top chefs at your disposal."

"Thanks Ryeong. I'm already so grateful that you told me about that bakery that opens at four. She'd probably kill me if I couldn't get her plain bread."

The bathroom door opens and Yeji walks out with Jisu next to her, rubbing her back.

They look like mother and daughter instead of best friends and the sight saddens even the three immortals although no one says anything.

Ryujin springs to her feet, rushing to her wife's side to help her walk towards the couch.

"I'll get you some water," Jisu says.

"Let me." Yuna swiftly stands up. "You rest, Unnie," she tells Jisu. "It was a long flight."

"I'm okay. The good thing about being old and traveling alone is that you get all those nice stewardesses helping you, attending to your every need. That was the most comfortable flight I've ever had. They wheeled me around in wheelchairs like I can't even walk by myself," replies Jisu, laughing. "But hey, if you want to dote on me too then go ahead. This grandma is more than happy to be spoiled and pampered." She takes a seat next to Yeji. "So Tabasco, huh?"