- - 12 - -

- - chapter twelve - - cigarette in my hand

cigarette in my hand

Polly Parker was proud of herself. She was an extremely proud woman and had been that way ever since she was a child, it was the way that her parents had raised her. And the way that she had handled that situation, made her proud of herself although she was ashamed of her daughter. She knew exactly what kind of a person George was, just because she had known his family and even though some would say it was unfair to judge him before knowing him; this was the way that Polly did things and this was how she kept her family safe. Despite being a proud pureblood witch, her life had a different purpose now as her life revolved around country clubs and posh dinners with politicians. Her life had become one of plush and pleasure, only keeping to a schedule that she wanted as she supported her mayor husband by smiling and chatting to strangers. The life of the ambitious witch who had wanted to work in the Ministry of Magic was long forgotten and she had not touched her wand for a decade.

What she wasn't happy with was the way that Indigo had reacted to this change. Getting rid of George was the only option that she could see for her daughter and yet that was not what Indigo was thinking; she was more than upset. When they heard the door of the shop below them slam shut, Polly let out a sigh of relief and began looking around the apartment, judging everything as if nothing had happened. Indigo didn't move and couldn't believe what had just happened, tears clouding her vision as she wondered whether she had just lost George forever. She didn't know why she was feeling so lost, why had he made such a large impression on her in such a little amount of time? She wasn't the kind of person that wanted to feel vulnerable but for some reason, the thought of not having George around was enough to freak her out and she hated feeling this way.

"Indigo, I thought you had gotten rid of that thing." Polly hissed, eyeing up the ginger cat that was happily napping on the windowsill. "I told you, it's a fleabag and my allergies always act up when it's around."

Adding a slight cough at the end of her sentence was enough for Indigo to be broken out of her thoughts as she closed her hands into fists and tried to stand her ground. "Why did you do this?"

"I told you, my allergies act up around that cat-"

"No! Why did you kick George out?"

Polly rolled her eyes. "I'm not the bad guy here, he is. I just saved you from a life of misery. Possibly even prolonged your life because you don't know what he could do."

"He'd never hurt me." Indigo argued, keeping her fists scrunched at her waist and trying not to get too angry at her mother but failing every time she spoke.

"Darling, you're delirious. Oh God, do you have feelings for that scum? Grow up. It's not going to happen; it would never happen. How could he ever feel the same way for you? What would he do when he finds out what you are?"

She wiped her eyes slightly. "That doesn't matter. What matters is that he's my friend, and I don't care what he is." Deciding that she needed to be strong and make her own decisions, she decided that it was time to do something for herself and headed out of the flat.