29.

::

"Seventeen's Hoshi caught in a cheating scandal, fans await official Pledis statement." Woozi read through the headlines with a frown, "Pledis denies connection to the person in question, states the accusation of a hotel encounter was false."

"This is a real mess, ain't it?" Seungcheol who'd been sitting beside Woozi spoke, putting his arms behind his head as he leaned back on the couch, "Mina sure is smart though, for coming up with that idea on the spot. That kind of reaction is definitely not normal."

Woozi looked up from his phone to face Seungcheol, "Yeah. It puts Soonyoung in an unfortunate position though. He's not happy with it at all. Sure, denying any involvement with her has helped but it's the same as having pushed her into the fire all alone. Seeing someone you love like that... It's devastating."

"She sued him. That Min Seuk guy." Seungcheol spoke, "It shouldn't be long."

"What do you mean?"

Seungcheol pointed to the corner where Soonyoung was staring at his phone quite intensely. He was being as patient as he could be but no matter what, he didn't want to miss any chance. Seungcheol smiled, "The baby tiger's patiently waiting for his girlfriend to call him. He believes it's not over yet." Raising his voice slightly to reach Soonyoung, S.Coups yelled, "You're going to burn a hole into that phone if you keep looking at it like that!"

Jumping from his spot at the loud sound, Hoshi turned, "I won't break it! Mina will definitely call when things get better. I know she will."

"Not today, she won't." Jeonghan cut in, appearing from the hallway, "She's got a court appearance today."

Patting Soonyoung's surprised back, Jeonghan simply walked over to the open kitchen to grab a can of cola. There was a knowing smile on his face as Seungcheol asked the one question that everyone in the room had been wondering, "How did you know? How do you know what Mina's up to today?"

Jeonghan shrugged, "I have my sources." He spoke like it was the most obvious thing in the world but the three in the room looked at him sceptically, unbelieving eyes trained at his back. Jeonghan sighed after a few seconds, "Fine fine. I was told to keep this a secret but the lawyer representing Mina is actually Dokyeom's friend."

"Dokyeom?!" Soonyoung was surprised by the unexpected name. Seokmin knew a lawyer? Why had he never mentioned he knew Mina's lawyer? What was going on?

"He didn't tell you because you had new problems coming up every second," Jeonghan spoke as if reading through Hoshi's simple mindset. "Lawyers aren't allowed to discuss their case to outsiders so Dokyeom doesn't know anything apart from the hearing date. Don't go after him for this, okay? She asked him to keep it a secret and if nothing, Seokmin's loyal to promises." Jeonghan moved to the direction of his room, "I found out accidentally."

::

"The hearing is open to attend, right?" Soonyoung asked for the thousandth time, hiding behind his mask. Seokmin who'd been standing right beside him, outside the court simply sighed, nodding.

"I confirmed it. They've just taken a recess. We should be able to enter with passes." He held up ID's, walking in and looking around. Someone in a suit walked to them, introducing himself to be in Mina's employee. Soonyoung was slightly hesitant but Dk seemed to recognise the man and he couldn't really wait anymore. Even if he were allowed only a glance, Soonyoung was ready to take the chance.

The two followed into the courtroom, taking a few seats at the back. Mina had asked him to cut off all contact but was something like that so easy? If it didn't make sense to Soonyoung then how was it for her? With bated breath, Soonyoung watched her enter the courtroom, her dark circles being the first thing he noticed. She was pale, her lips having lost the rosy colour of her favourite lip tint... Was she not eating well?

"Seokmin-ah..." Soonyoung feared asking, his eyes wide with worry at her frail silhouette, "Did something happen to her while I was gone?"

::

It was logical.

Her decision to end things with Soonyoung. It was logical. Mina kept telling herself the same every morning she woke up. To save Hoshi, she had to let Soonyoung go. It was only right. But if it was the right decision to make... Why then... Why then was she the only one left alone? Why was she the only one breaking down inside, screaming to make a change, go back and turn the clock back?

As her fingers quivered in the courtroom, Mina truly wondered, where had things gone wrong? Was it from the start? Soonyoung's lie, that prank... Going Seventeen. The shoot had only lasted three days but during that period, so much had happened. She had kissed him intentionally and he'd returned it later on. They were messed up, from employees secretly dating to being pranked by a celebrity, from taking a chance at wanting to date openly to being destroyed by a vengeful third party—their relationship had many misfortunes.

He was the spotlight and she, an intruder backstage. But to say that they were never meant to be—Mina didn't want to accept it. "Min Seuk is a distrustful man, your honour." Mina raised her face, looking forward, "After constantly reprimanding me for even speaking a word to a male, he began suspecting me of cheating him. His mistrust and apparitions led him to the point where he's now connected me to someone I once worked with. After having dumped him, he continues to defame me in public, berating my character and acting dishonestly at my workplace."

"Do you have any proof?"

"I do. Audio recordings from his inappropriate behaviour at the office, the testimony of the bartender and workers for having spiked my drink and even a written statement from the idol I'm said to be involved with." Mina stood her ground, answering each question one by one, providing her proofs to spin her tale.

The judge took his time reviewing the material but frowned when Min Seuk's lawyer pointed out that it was nothing but circumstantial evidence. Min Seuk was recorded gifting Mina various items at the office which she had always rejected but there was nothing to claim that those were being gifted after their supposed "breakup". Just as their case was starting to fall flat, the prosecution cut in with a medical report.

"Min Seuk showed several fits of anger, only downed by relaxants hit by his house workers. The doctor who prescribed these medicines has testified to this along with members of his working staff!" Mina's only friend in the area had turned the tables with the findings of the prosecution side.

Mina smiled. It was finally coming to an end, her lonely battle.

::