Chapter 11. Princess Collyn.

Chapter 11.

Princess Collyn.

Lynwood stood around in the mist, wondering what on earth he was supposed to do.

"Isn't that just like a dragon?" He muttered to himself. "Taking off and leaving me here all alone."

The thought did cross his mind to try and go up to the palace, but judging by the sky, it was around four am, not exactly the best time to go banging on doors and begging to see the prince. He finally decided to wait until a more decent hour of the morning before trying to discover a way inside.

The ground was damp and wet with dew, not something the boy wanted to sit down on, but he couldn't remain standing for several hours, so Lynwood found a secluded spot amongst a cluster of bushes and sat down. He could feel his pants soaking in the dew and shifted uncomfortably.

"Why can't things ever turn out nicely for me?" He grumbled. "Why is it that everything has to be so uncomfortable, so inconvenient?"

Heaving a long, loud sigh, Lynwood settled down among the leaves and branches and waited for the sun to start making its ascent into the heavens. His eyes started to get a little droopy at one point, but he fought to stay awake. Falling asleep, uninvited, in the garden of the king was not a good idea. He had heard enough rumors in Briston to know King Farran was a cruel and rather unforgiving person. Lynwood could be discovered and then he would be in a lot of trouble. Besides, he'd been doing quite a bit of sleeping the past few days, he shouldn't be tired at all.

Funny thing was his eyes didn't seem to agree with his logic and despite all his efforts, at last the eyelids closed and Lynwood didn't open them again.

***

It was a strange feeling, as though a hammer was struck against his side, then again and again. Lynwood shifted to try and get out of its way. There it was again. Who on earth was hitting him with a hammer and why were they doing it? When the hammer came down the fourth time Lynwood had had enough, and sat up abruptly. The light blinded him for a moment and he blinked, trying to make out the figure in front of him. It slowly began to dawn on his sleepy brain that it was a girl standing over him, and the hammer had really been her foot, which she had been nudging him with.

"Who in the name of heaven are you?" The girl demanded. "And what are you doing sleeping under the Lelus bush?"

Lynwood rubbed his eyes, trying to make sense of the question. Who was he really? And why had he been sleeping under the Lelus bush. Come to think of it, what was a Lelus bush? He slowly rose to his feet and studied the girl. She looked about twelve or thirteen, with dark brown eyes gazing at him from underneath thick eyelashes. Her skin was pale and contrasted rather sharply with her jet black hair gathered up in a bun with roses. She was dressed in a pale yellow dress, with puffed sleeves and a satin sash. A silver chain with a pendant hung around her neck and a thin chain bracelet on her arm. Her face was round, her chin delicate, her nose small and slightly pointy, and the little lips a ruby red. Lynwood had never seen anything like her before.

"Are you deaf?" she asked again, her voice was very smooth, but rather high pitched. "I thought I asked you who you were."

"I uh," Lynwood tried to come up with a good answer, but he was so thirsty, all he could think of was getting a drink. "Do you have any water?"

The girl knit her eyebrows together. "Why do you not address me properly, servant boy?"

Lynwood scowled at her. "I'm not your servant boy," he stated, crossing his arms in front of him."

"Then who are you?"

"My name is Lynwood and I am the son of a woodsman, my home is from the Northern Mountain Range. Who are you?"