Chapter 33: Croissant

Guess whose back bitches!

I know, I know. I said I would be gone for a month max, but it ended up being like two months. My brain just really needed the break, but I'm back in black and ready to kick off with a new chapter for you lovely human beings. 

Oh, also, I have a DR snapchat if anyone wants to join. It's pretty active and we talk about the book or other books or just random stuff. I sometimes give sneak peeks into the next chapter or other series I have lined up in the future. It would mean a lot if you guys followed me at ajgymnast1, but of course, you guys don't have to. And if you're worried about the people in the fanclub, they don't bite. Everyone is super nice and really encouraging and they will HYPE YOU UP if you need it.

Oh my god, why does Rowan remind me of Holland. 

Dagen

A burst of silver, bright and silky and cool, enveloped him.

He stepped forward, the silver light suddenly replaced by a cabin. Dagen's boots caught on wooden floors and he stumbled. His eyes darted to Topher and Eoin gaping beside him, then to the room. Everything was wood; walls, floors, ceilings. His haze bounced around then rested on the goddess and her red wings.

Dagen moved around on silent feet, trying to steal a glimpse at whoever the goddess stared down at.

Norah brushed off invisible dust from her shoulders, her lips pursed. And while he and Topher had the luxury of walking through whatever they walked through, Norah was flat on her ass and didn't seem to care. She unfurled from her feet quickly, her face tight, eyes narrowed slightly. But her expression revealed nothing else.

"I have removed them from the immediate danger," Vaella said, her voice stern and unyielding as it carried through the tiny room. "If they choose to leave, it will be of their own volition."

Vaella--Vaella the goddess Norah hated. The one who forced her into this place, changing her without consent. Forcing her into things she didn't want to do.

Dagen wasn't sure what he could do against a goddess, but still, his daggers were a solid, comforting weight in his hands.

Norah said nothing and carefully picked up her bag to move to the side of the room where books lined the walls. Towers of them meeting Dagen's waist. One touch and the towers would fall.

He couldn't tell if the intensity in the goddess's black eyes were wariness or if she was used to Norah ignoring her. "You should not have left," she chided. "You know Etin will find you when you venture beyond the barrier."

"He's always going to find me," Norah said calmly. Controlled. All of it was fake given how stiff her shoulders moved. "And I'm going to end up fighting him at one point or another in my life."

"You are not ready," Vaella said. "How long have these excursions been occurring? How long have you been endangering this war?"

"A while," Norah answered, nudging her bag again until it was nuzzled against a stack of swaying towers.

Vaella's wings twitched, as if unable to help the frustrated gesture. "You are being hunted by the two most powerful gods ever to exist. This entire realm and the ones beyond seek your death. If you die, this war is lost. Every realm, everything that has ever been created will be vanquished because of your reckless decisions."

Dagen felt Topher ease toward the only hallway. Not disappearing into it, but lingering in the doorway--ready to run.

Norah turned slowly, her words deadly soft. "They're not reckless. What's reckless is you leaving for days at a time until you decide to come back."