˗ˋ 37

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH ROSIE
EXPLODES

. . .

Neville had agreed to come to tutoring in the library on Sunday, and then at lunchtimes on Tuesday and Thursday so that she could begin the teaching she had agreed to do for his Potions OWL. It seemed to be mostly based in working on his written work and confidence; his interest and knowledge of Herbology could certainly be utilised.

Her schedule was much more busy than Fred and George's - she had chosen several more NEWT lessons than the twins had and although it was a little overwhelming come exam time it would be worth it when she had all the perfect results. That's why she had taken them - good grades could get you any job and therefore she could get in anywhere to help Fred and George's business. 

But it seemed less likely that her incredible grades in Defense Against the Dark Arts would be harder to uphold. She had - no, everyone had heard - about what had happened in a particular fifth year class, and to be quite frank everyone was on edge about what would happen in their own classes.

Rosie was no different, after Umbridge's interruption of Dumbledore's speech she got the feeling that teaching was never about thhe students but more about the actual teacher herself. Which meant lessons would be awful and she was going to have to reply to Oliver Wood's letter about her taking over the Gryffindor Quidditch team with a note about him sending her his seventh year book on the subject. 

And to make matters so much worse, her lesson was after lunch on a Thursday. Right after her tutoring with Neville. It wouldn't be so bad given they ended five minutes previous, but they ended right when the bell went and the DADA classroom was on the third floor, whilst the library was on the ground floor, right by the Great Hall.

She practically ran all the way, but by the time she reached Classroom 3C, there was no line of students in the hallway and Umbridge's forced girlish tones was already teaching. 

Rosie would be in worse trouble if she didn't turj up at all, and she figured that Umbridge wouldn't be so lenient on giving up her detention as Snape was (all it had taken was several rather in-depth conversations about Snape's favourite potion - Veritaserum - to stop him mentioning the detentions to her in a snarky sense and a promise to donate a few of her hairs for more complex potions), so with the slightest bit of hesitation she pushed open the door.

"How wonderful of you to join us Miss Kersey." Professor Umbridge seemed to stop everything for her late entrance, a hand extending behind her to catch the floating chalk that was writing something on the blackboard. "Ten points from Gryffindor for you interruption. Please take a seat, wand away, quills out as well as your copy of Defense Magical Theory."

"Sorry." Rosie thought it best to at least apologise as she made her way over to the back table with the empty seat, slipping down into it and plasing the bag on the floor, quick to do as asked.

Fred and George were in the seats in front of her, turning around and looking rather apologetic.

"Apologies for not saving you a seat." George grinned.

"But I think whatever Umbridge is on might make up for it." Fred added, as he turned back around in his seat, Umbridge returning her chalk over to the board. 

"Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Levels." The woman said, enunciating each and every word. "The culmination of your years of undoubtedly hard work here at Hogwarts has led you towards this year. However, unlike your other subjects, the education of Defense Against the Dark Arts at this school has been... dismal."

Glances were exchanged amongst the students in front of Umbridge. Sure, Alastor Moody wasn't quite who they thought he were and sure, he definitely had a unique way of teaching, but nobody in the past six years had actually been bad at teaching. Except Gilderoy Lockhart, but from the looks of things he didn't seem to remember much, so he could be excused. 

"Let's see. You had Professor Quirrel, a perfectly good.. Muggle Studies teacher, but a stuttering shambles of a teacher nontheless. Just last year, Professor Moody not only taught you about the Unforgiveable Curses but actually performed them on students. The less I say about Professor Lockhart the better." Despite her words, Umbridge had an almost giddy smile on her lips and both Fred and George turned in Rosie's direction and simultaneously gagged. 

"In the classroom you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizards in this class, very irresponsible indeed - not to mention." She gave a nasty little laugh. "Extremely dangerous half-breeds."

Rosie froze. The word thudded in her chest. Half-breed. Her and Professor Lupin. Reduced into nothing. Not to mention her younger brother, who was barely exposed to the world outside of his primary school.

Fred and George, who had been halfway back to turning into their seats froze. 

"You can't be serious." The Kersey girl, who was already in trouble for being late couldn't stop herself. 

"Miss Kersey? Something to say?" Umbridge blinked at her. "And please take this as a lesson to put your hand up if you wish to speak in my classroom." 

"What you've just said is incredibly rude and offensive. Professor Lupin was not dangerous, he was the best teacher we've had during our time here and personally I wouldn't quite deem myself as dangerous either." Rosie replied, not quite sure why she was deciding to let the entirety of Hogwarts know about her family just yet.

"Why on earth would you be dangerous, Miss Kersey? Please, enlighten the class." Umbridge's eyes sparked almost dangerously, but confusion was there as well. 

"Stick me in a bathtub and you'll find out. Or take a trip to St. Mungos and ask for Healer Strout, find out exactly what kept Cedric Diggory alive because it certainly wasn't just a botttle of Felix Felicis." Rosie pushed herself up from her chair, reaching for her bag and stuffing her book in there. "Or better yet! Take a visit down to the edge of the Black Lake and you'll probably find my aunt swimming around." 

Fred and George were grinning, sitting back in their chairs as they watched her. They had never quite seen Rosie this worked up before. 

"Aunt? Miss Kersey you certainly can't be half Grindylow!" Professor Umbridge quite clearly thought she was joking. 

"Mermaid. I'm half mermaid. And seeing as you've not only called Professor Lupin extremely dangerous but me as well, then I can't see why I would sit in on your bullshit class seeing as from your attitude, you must be at least half cow!" Rosie could feel the adrenaline pumping in her veins. 

"Miss Kersey, sit down. This reaction is entirely inappropriate. You will serve detention with me all next week." Umbridge was trying to keep her calm and throw punishments her way, but Rosie wasn't having any of it. 

"Oh, I'm not coming near you with a ten foot stick." Rosie shook her head, swinging her bag over her shoulder. "And last time I checked - which I've done, by the way, the distance from here to your desk is about six. So no, I won't sit down. And I won't be coming back either. I am not being reduced to the simple fact of my heritage or letting you call me extremely dangerous when you seem to favour that shade of pink." 

And with that, Rosie stormed out of the classroom and promptly made herself an enemy of Dolores Umbridge.