❁ 20 ❁

I began to lose track of time

I began to lose track of time. My grades were ultimately suffering the consequences.

Looking down at the mock test before me, I couldn't help but feel crushed. I had received my first ever C on an exam. I immediately folded it up and shoved it into my bag so no one would see. It felt like the weight of the world would soon consume me.

Last night, I realized one thing: Angel did not know that I had witnessed what happened with Sakura. Not telling him was eating me alive. I knew I had to confess but I didn't know when or how. He was my friend and friends did not keep secrets from each other—it wasn't right.

Dear mamá,

I can no longer keep this from him. He must know the truth.

I bent my head down onto my journal, clutching my chest. "Mamá, *¿estás ahí?" I whispered to myself. After a moment, I continued writing.

You must be so disappointed in me. I would be if I were you. It seems like everything is slipping out of my grasp. But if there's one thing I know, it's that I must help him. No one deserves to be treated the way he has. I know you would understand. You understood people so well, mamá.

I miss you every day.

I'm so sorry,
Camellia

I wiped a rogue tear from my eye, closed the journal, and placed it into one of my drawers. Time felt endless as I sat on my bed waiting for Angel to come in. There was no beginning, no end, just existence. What was wrong with me?

Suddenly, the door swung open. I whipped my head and found Angel with Magnolia tailing him. She looked at me for a second and we held each other's gaze. I could never tell what she was thinking—I probably never would. Then she blinked, bringing me back into reality, and headed out the door.

Angel sighed and ripped off his wig, throwing it to the ground. "What's wrong?" He inquired, almost as if he had known there was anything wrong in the first place.

I did not realize that I had been staring at him for a while. It was interesting because before, he would've immediately become defensive. He had never liked me staring. But now, he asked me what was wrong. My chest tightened.

I couldn't find the right words when suddenly, "I have something to tell you," fumbled out on its own.

He sat on his bed and placed his chin on the palm of his hand. "What's up?"

I lowered my head in shame, wracking my brain for a way to say it. "I... I know what... Sakura did to you on your birthday. I was there."

I studied his facial expression—unfazed. "I know," he calmly replied.

My eyes widened in disbelief. "What?!"

"Yeah, I knew you were in the closet the whole time. You're a mouth breather." He chuckled.