21. Unwell

AARON

When the frying pan, my last shield of survival dropped, I felt so... defenseless.

Her internal system has gone haphazard. She's madly crazy and wild.

How would I save my life now from my deadly lioness?

But next, surprisingly the spatula fell from her hand and she gripped the countertop. It appeared like she was about to lose balance.

I quickly sprang close to her and prevented the fall, wrapping her firmly in my left arm. The next moment, her eyes closed and she stopped reacting.

I tried to wake her up by caressing her cheek, but she didn't. I stood aghast to find her forehead burning. She's got a high fever!

I know, it's because of me, because of the last night. The kitchen hints that she didn't even had supper. The guilt I feel is indescribable.

I gently picked her up in my arms and carried her to her bedroom. She is one hell of a dedicated woman. She could've taken sick leave today, but no, she could never keep aside her work and ego.

On reaching her room, I gently laid her on the bed. I immediately called Carl.

He arrived shortly.

"Man! What did you do to the pretty girl."

"I didn't do anything. I came here for some work when she started...", I sighed, "she started rummaging the whole house for a pendrive and I don't know how, passed out."

Maybe I did a few things but that doesn't count, right? She is the one who exhausted herself insanely running behind, trying to kill me.

He checked her eyes and blood pressure, measured her temperature with an infrared temperature gun and said, "103? Had she been skiing without a jacket on?"

"Not in a mood to joke Carl.", I coldly said.

"I'm just guessing possibilities. Too high fever and blood pressure, exertion."

"Is she okay?", I asked with concern.

"Not yet but would be. An injection would do.", he said.

"I want her perfectly alright before morning."

"I too want her to be fully fit and fine soon. So keep that ordering thing to your employees."

"Alright.", I said.

"You noticed something? Whenever you come here something bad happens. Geez! You are so jinxed."

I picked up a nearby vase and aimed for his head, but next moment he pleaded, "Hey! I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Keep that down, please."

I lowered it down.

"Please go and sit there, while I treat her.", he pointed to the couch.

On his plea I walked to the couch and plonked, keeping the vase on the floor beside angrily. Everyone is being testy these days.

Within few minutes, he injected her and said handing me some pills, "Give her these once she gets up, which I think would be tomorrow."

"Thanks."

"Did I just hear a courtesy word from a cocky guy's mouth?", he gaped at me.

"Should I break your case again?", I scowled.

"I should better get going. Take care of her." He immediately picked up his case and left.

I sat beside her and gazed at her beautiful face currently looking dull. I feel guilty for her condition. I took her soft hand in mine.