Chapter 10

There was no time to dwell on the awkwardness.

Eisa had gone to the study to let Klaus know she was home, and found him holding a dagger and looking out the window.

"Nik," she said quietly, tucking her hands behind her back. "I wanted to thank you, for sending Hayley with your blood."

He nodded. "After you supported me, it was the least I could do. I would have delivered it myself, Sister, if I had not been met with treachery."

Eisa frowned. "What do you mean? What happened?" She came closer to him, and saw tears glistening in his eyes. "Nik, what—?"

"Rebekah and Marcel attempted to dagger me," he whispered. "They lured me to the Compound, thinking they could best me with a horde of vampires. They were mistaken. Marcel gave me command of New Orleans. The Compound is being cleaned for us to move in, as we speak. And Elijah... he supported her."

"What? Did he—?"

"He did not participate in the slaughter. But Rebekah stated quite clearly that Elijah had encouraged her." He looked over at her. "Why did you conceal the truth? Why isolate yourself, pretending you had not been bitten?"

She turned away, choosing to imitate him in looking out over the empty fields of the plantation. "I suppose you're angry, thinking that I would have kept Rebekah from doing such a thing. Or at least kept Elijah from supporting her."

"It is not you I'm cross with, Sister. You did not accuse me of intending to use my child's blood to sire hybrids. You did not attempt to confine me in stone." He twirled the dagger in his hands. "You could have simply asked for my blood."

"I felt that I needed to feel pain for a moment, alright, Nik?" she said in an exasperated tone. "You're clearly frustrated with the fact I am starting to grow feelings for Hayley. The hallucinations, the discomfort, it would work to remind me that I'm a monster with a dark past. Someone who will never be good enough for her. This family will ruin her. I needed a reminder of how often our lives have been mucked up by those we've crossed paths with. I don't wish to harm her."

Klaus ran his tongue over his lips. "My frustration does not apply to your feelings. I care not what you feel for Hayley, granted the fact that I find no romantic interest in her whatsoever."

Eisa figured out what he was really worried about. "You think your daughter will consider me more of a parent than she will you. Don't be absurd, Nik, I don't wish to be her second mother. She is my niece, first and foremost, and I will do what I can to keep that little girl safe, if you and Hayley ever can't. I'm not looking to drive a wedge between the two of you before she's born. I am not looking to replace you."

He did not answer, perking up at the sound of Rebekah and Elijah walking in. "There's only one dagger," said Rebekah quietly. "Which one of us will you be punishing today?"

Klaus turned around. "I contemplated a game of eenie-meenie-miney-moe. You betrayed me. My own sister!"

"Niklaus," Elijah held his finger up before he could think to dagger Rebekah, "don't you dare."

"Perhaps it should be you, brother!" said Klaus, pointing the dagger at Elijah instead. "Supporting her treachery when you should have commanded her to have more respect for me! Convincing her that I would exploit my own daughter! You wished to take her from me—"

"Is that what this is?" snapped Rebekah. "You are once again worried that you will be left behind? Has history taught you nothing? We don't abandon you, Nik, you drive us away!"

"Is that so?" sneered Klaus. "What have I done lately, other than cooperate? I bow down to you, brother, to make up for daggering you. For the greater good of our plan to reclaim our home. Looked the other way, sister, while you repeat the same cycle with Marcel. Falling again for a man you shouldn't be with, while he controls the empire that we built! That he took!"