38 - distraction

✧ ✧

✧ ✧

"Are you absolutely sure you want to do this John b?" I ask him as we pull up next to the police station and he takes a deep breath before making direct eye contact with me. "Somebody's gotta tell them what happened."

Kiara takes the key out of the car, turning off the ignition and she glances back to us as pope is thrown into a coughing fit due to the ignited blunt in his hand. "Good lord dude how much did you just inhale?"

"too much to handle I guess. easy there chief..... damn," next to me JJ exclaims, patting his friend on the shoulder as he continues to cough. "li you want some, never mind..." JJ turns to me before realizing what he asked and immediately shuts his mouth, shifting his gaze to his best friends he leans forward onto the seat in front of him.

"alright, I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is."

"JJ you do realize that my dad is a cop right?" I shoot the blond boy a look and he retorts right back, "Well your dad is an abusive piece of shit."

"Okay well so is yours" Kiara butts in as Pope nods in agreement, "I agree with JJ. Fuck the police, no offense Delilah." he shoots me a sympathetic look and I brush it off, shrugging my shoulders.

"None taken. When have the police ever helped you lot? "

"Peterkin Looked out for me, all right? Or tried to, at least." that silences all of us as his eyes wander towards the door and he says softly, "They need to know."

"do what you have to John B, just know we've got you." I reach over, squeezing his hand as we sends me a weak smile back. "Pogues for life?"

"Pogues for life." we all chant in unison as he opens the car door and starts heading inside the station.

"Did I just receive rogue status?" I raise my eyebrows, looking at JJ as he laughs softly. "Yeah I guess so. about damn time considering all you've done for us li. You deserve it, really." from JJ's mouth I could tell it was genuine and as soon as I see the other two nodding my brain establishes the phenomenon as real. warmth spreads over my whole chest as a smile spreads across my face and JJ pulls me into a side hug as I inhale his familiar mint scent.

the moment of euphoria doesn't last very long as I glance over his shoulder to see John B put his hands up as a deputy points a gun right at him. "Fuck! Kie start the car I'm getting out and don't wait up for me. Just get John B out of here." I jolt away from him, sliding the door of the Twinkie open as I jump out, almost intersecting John B.

"GO! GO! I'll handle them!" I yell as he slides the white door closed as Kie shifts the van into drive, speeding off down the gravel road. I turn back just in time to see the same deputy that was pointing a gun at John B almost collide with me but he pulls himself to a halt before he can do so.