Chapter 61

Yuki knew no one would be coming for him when he first woke up to the echoes of fear, pain, and grief. Matsuda had made that clear on many occasions. The thought of running away was impossible after being branded. The blinding hot pain shooting through him had left him sick for the first time in his life. He'd witnessed many others attempt to get past the door a handful of times. Matsuda made sure to prolong their death as punishment with Yuki's help.

"Running away?" Hiroki asked again. He might still be a child but he knew Yuki was in no shape to leave, let alone run away.

"Yes." Yuki heavily huffed, "We need to hurry--"

"But there are still some locked!" Hiroki protested. "And you're bleeding a lot!"

"Hiroki," Yuki softly spoke. Hiroki held back a sob. "This is the most he's been angry."

Hiroki continued to stare at Yuki, not exactly processing what was being said or its importance.

Yuki limped over to him, "Something happened out there. There are heroes-- police-- who might be getting closer to finding him."

Hiroki felt his body tense.

Were they going to find them? Were they going to save them?

"If he wants to leave this quickly," Yuki slowly kneeled in front of Hiroki. "That means they might find us soon if we stay here."

Cupping Hiroki's face, Yuki allowed himself to feel a glimmer of hope.

"If we run away before he gets back... we'll be free." Yuki's voice cracked.

"I can see mommy again?" Hiroki asked, hot tears running down his face.

"Yes. and your dad." Yuki nodded, slightly relieved Hiroki was on the same page.

"You can see your mom and dad again too!" Hiroki smiled.

Yuki smiled and ruffled his hair, "...yeah."

-.-.-

"What time is it?" Yuki asked, beads of sweat running down the side of his face.

"11:27" Hiroki replied. He was wearing his jacket, snow boots, and anxiously looking at the watch. He stood behind Yuki as he watched him pick at the locks with paperclips and thin metal picks.

There was a click. "Done."

"Yay!" Hiroki smiled, lightly jumping at the balls of his feet.

Yuki slowly pulled the door open and took a peek outside. There was a set of stairs heading up along with a light cool breeze.

"Do you have everything?" Yuki asked, looking back at the child.

"Yes."

"Okay--"

"What about you?" Hiroki asked before Yuki took a step outside.

"What about me?" Yuki frowned.

Hiroki pointed down at Yuki's bare feet. "Where are your shoes?"

Yuki stared at the boy. There wasn't enough time for him to argue or explain if they were trying to get as far away from the place as possible.

Yuki gave him a thumbs up and smiled, "I have a super cool quirk. I'll be fine."

Hiroki seemed to feel a bit better about the situation.