Chapter 21 - The Ugly Past

As Neil had gone back to his rented house that day,he had been unable to stop thinking about the woman with the lifeless eyes..He knew that she would be there tomorrow as well and so the next day he had gravitated towards the coffee shop on the same time as yesterday.And he had been right..She came at the same time wearing the same jeans but a different and similarly worn out top..sat there in the same way ,drank the same coffee and left the same way...

All his plans to explore the beauty around this village were set aside.His curiosity got the better of him and he had no d.e.s.i.r.e to see the scenic places.Just like her, he made a habit of coming to the cafe everyday..Everyday for the next 10 days, he observed her do the same things repeatedly.Finally,he decided to approach her..

Neil:"Helloo...is there anyone sitting here??"

No response.....

Neil:Excuse me ..may I join you?

After another non response..Neil lightly knocked into the table as if he had lost balance.This startled the lost woman and she quickly looked up and apologized..As if she had somehow caused the table to knock into him and needed to apologize urgently afraid that he would yell at her..

"hey..it's ok..it was my fault anyway..soo can I sit here??"

"umm...sure you can sit here ...I was about to leave anyway.."

"Noo!!I meant I'd like to treat you to a cup of coffee..as an apology fot startling you just now..!!"

Neil had never known himself to ramble so much so he promptly shut his mouth and sat there waiting for an answer.

"

Umm..you are very nice but I have already had coffee..thank you for your offer...!"

"Then how about a piece of apple pie??I hear the pie is very good here....I'd like some but eating alone is lonesome so please...join me..."

At this the woman took a deep breath and said 'ohh...I am sorry..I have to go somewhere so..I'll just leave..."

She turned back hurriedly but then stopped midway and said "Umm..You should order the peanut butter pie...It's much better than the apple...goodbye"

Nuai vft rusuz luur f jmqfr zpr fjfw lm dflo dzmq vaq..Hu lpzzunoampliw hvuhcut val himovul om hmrdazq ad ovuw juzu lquiiw.Tvuw juzu rmo!!

Anyways ..he looked around and ordered the waitress to bring him the peanut butter pie..She had a weird look on her face but went with his choice and proceeded to order.

While waiting for his order to arrive,he started playing games on his phone.So lost was he that he did not realize that an older man had just sat across him.As he finished his level,he immediately realised he was not alone anymore.

His eyes hardened and he looked up to see a man in his late 50's staring at him."You ordered peanut butter pie",the old man said

"Yes,"Neil calmly replied,"I've been told that it is worth a try."

"I am the owner of thisbcafe and I've not seen you here before..yet for the last 10 days you have been continuously visiting our cafe and now you order something that is not on the menu..what are you upto?"

"What could I be upto?I am a mere tourist.."Neil tried to answer and look innocent..but he looked as innocent as a wolf...

The old man snorted and decided to ask directly, "why have you been stalking our Alice?You come here almost just before she does and leave immediately after she does..today being the exception..and then you are sitting at her table and ordering something that I make only for her!!Tell me the truth."

"Alice..beautiful name.."Seeing the old man looking ready to kill him,Neil decided to be honest."Look Sir,I have no ill intentions towards your Alice..I really am a tourist and the first time I visited here as the same time as her was a pure coincidence.After that also I have been observing because I am merely curious...she's very beautiful..."

The last line made the old man's softening eyes hard again and he again and he growled "She is a married woman..Keep your eyes to yourself."

"She is married but not happy..I have seen that..and her unhappiness is what has brought me here not her beauty..I have seen such unhappiness in the eyes of a loved one..so I recognize them.."

The old man who was halfway out of his seat was shocked at this observation and sat back in his seat with a thump..

He slowly sat back and reassessed this man.He looked back at the man and said...'Then how did you make the unhappiness go away?How do you bring back the light?"

This question made the light in Neil's eyes fade and he uttered "I couldn't....which is why I want to help her..but I don't know how...?"

The old man could only sigh at this and sadly said "You can only help those who are willing to accept your help..Alice has been like this for almost 2 years now..Everytime she comes here I hope to see the spunky and cheeky old Alice but she is nowhere to be found..She has been like this since her mother passed away..as if she buried her happiness and dreams with her mother...Her poor husband Alan has been trying to get her over it but it has not worked yet..."

"Her mother's death...Sir..her mother's death must have been a factor contributing to her sadness but that is not the cause for her depression.A man who is concerned about his wife who has been depressed will try to seek professional help.He will give his wife at least some money to spend..She had no money in her purse just enough for coffee..I have been coming here for 10 days and not once have I seen her eat anything..She is stick thin but I don't see her husband trying to coax her to eat..tell me..has he followed her here ever??

The old man who had been listening in shocked silence answered "Of course he did....at the beginning...look aren't you being too harsh..Alan is a good man..I am sure he is doing his best..."But the old man looked uneasy..

"Oh no sir...I am not being harsh..you know why..I have observed an emotion in her eyes these last 10 days..would you like to know...When she sits there staring down as if she is looking at her coffee,she is actually staring at her weddig ring with loathing..as if it was something that was trying to harm her.."

The old man got up with troubled eyes and nodded at the waitress who then came forward with his order,"This is the peanut butter pie you ordered...It's not on the menu anymore because it is not his own recipe..It was Alice's recipe and we make it for her birthday every year..please enjoy your food..goodbye"