Chapter 43

Doe's POV:

We took our time treading back from our 'break', hands being warmed by the drinks we had gotten.

We waited for me to finish the turkey and pesto croissant sandwich I had ordered, and then I took a dark hot chocolate with an obscene amount of whipped cream to go.

Xander got this steamed milk drink with some sort of raspberry flavoring and white mocha.

It was a lot better than I was expecting it to be after we swapped drinks momentarily for a taste test.

I still preferred mine though and sipped on it little by little.

We walked side by side by the time we were close enough to make out Khloe and Nico's features.

Nico noticed us first with a turn of his head, Khloe's following soon after with her spot still atop his lap.

I focused mainly on Nico though, brows just barely raising as he glanced at our drinks before eyeing down the jacket that I now wore, finishing it off with his eyes on Xander.

All with the same, hood-eyed blank stare.

God this dude was impossible to read.

As soon as we were approaching the bench, he spoke.

"How nice of you to join us again," he patronized.

Xander made sure to dramatize the show of him looking at his watch.

"We were only gone for 39 minutes whereas you were gone for 44, so you're welcome for returning so quickly," He responded cheekily.

Dang... I guess with how much he was worrying, it didn't surprise me that he was counting the minutes after Nico left.

Nico didn't respond, just rolled his eyes and returned his gaze to the line.

The eyeroll that didn't look nearly as serious as the ones that I've seen before.

I felt just a little bit better at that.

A small victory in myself that my actions didn't make their relationship worse.

Xander set down first in the same spot as when I finally sat with him, slowly getting himself back into his 'work mode' now that he could focus.

I hopped up right beside him, wiggling myself into the back of the cushions there to get comfy.

Xander's head turned just enough to eye the small space between us as I brought the cup to my lips again, savoring the flavor and warmth that I could now enjoy until this thing was over.

Xander's POV:

My eyes were stuck on the phone while thoughts battled in my head in hopes that they would become coherent.

The end of the blood collection came quickly after we returned, and headed straight home afterward.

I could hear the faint splashing in the bathroom from the warm milk bath Doe decided to take, leaving me alone with the body that recently decited to hate me and the brain that won't shut up.

That feeling in my chest was still present but had been moderately tame since this morning.

Except now it felt like it was just steadily growing with every second this phone was in my view.

With every time Layla's name appeared in my mind.

I should call her, I really should.

I felt like I should at least give her the heads up to invite the pets but every time I'd reach for the phone with that intent in mind, I'd freeze.