15 | the underrated art of fake dating.

JANNAT'S P.O.V

      "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" Adrienne inquired as the car rolled to a stop, and she pulled the door open, sliding out into the lively hustle and bustle of the Upper Manhattan streets. I shrugged and followed her out of the car, dreading the fact that I was finally being confronted with the shit I had tried dodging the whole week — the rushed decision that I had made of putting up a dating front with Christian.

"Everything, I presume, except for the way I dress," I replied, playing it off, and tugging at Estelle's hand, yanking her out of the car. Apparently the cafe we were going to wasn't the most environmentally friendly cafe around — and the lady Este doth protest too much, methinks.

"They offer only plastic straws!" Este protested. "And they even give out styrofoam cups!"

I sighed, finding a little solace in the click of my heels against the cobblestones as I retreated back from her, and jutted my hands on my hips. "If you don't get out of the car now, I will absolutely punch you in the face. And know that I will do it hard, because I have a manicure appointment tomorrow morning."

"Do it already," Adrienne murmured. Estelle and I turned to look at her. She sighed, looking up from her phone. "What? I am parched and starving."

"She can be very terrifying when she wants to be, huh?" Este murmured, finally tipping one sneaker clad foot out the car door. She shook her head and her curls bounced wildly, the sunlight filtering and passing through her hair — giving the illusion of a halo.

I nodded in affirmation to Este's statement."Now come on, Este," Adrienne murmured, finally tugging at Este's other hand. "We will request for ceramic cups or something, and metal straws! Okay? Now come out already."

"It's not only that!" Este mumbled as we finally tugged her out. I waved off Malcolm, the kind man who drove me everywhere I wanted to, and we started walking towards the entrance of Think Coffee and paused there. "I came here once before," Estelle murmured, before dragging a hand down her face. "And I completely embarrassed myself in front of this cute waitress."

I let out a laugh, shifting the purse I was holding in my right hand swiftly to my left hand, so that I could give Este a friendly clap on the back. "Oh my. Are you afraid that you will embarrass yourself in front of her if you see her again?"

"And what is so embarrassing that you're so scared, anyway?" Adrienne asked thoughtfully. "Did you pee in your pants or something?"

I let out a loud laugh, which caught the attention of a bunch of people passing by. I waved at them, and when one of the guys didn't break my gaze, I winked at him, brushing away a wisp of my hair as a show. He looked away. I grinned.

"No!" Este screeched, her cheeks burning. Adrienne was the one to laugh this time, the white beret atop her head sitting slightly askew. Even though a pop of colour in the shades of yellow or orange would have gone better with the dull green of her dress, I gave her an approving nod nonetheless, mostly for stepping out of her usual comfort zone — beanies. "I was so distracted by her smile that I had accidentally swatted the soup on my own lap, and when she had rushed to wipe off the liquid, I had gone so stiff that she thought that she had done something wrong, and so after that, when she profusely started apologising, I panicked and asked for the bill. Without ordering anything else. By the time she had come back, I had calmed down considerably and had lied to her that I was having a bad day and that it wasn't her fault. So when she said — thank you for being so considerate. Please come back again! — I blanked out and said thank you, you too. And then I was trying to think what the hell I had just muttered, and the next moment I knew, I had accidentally not only pulled the push door, but had also slammed my face against the glass door in the whole confusion."