Chapter 11

Breakfast was interesting for Eisa.

She'd learned in the morning that Klaus intended to have Davina move into the Compound. Eisa had not given this much thought, considering it had been quite early, and she had wanted to sleep in.

Both she and Hayley had a late meal, which technically ought to have been considered brunch, were it not consisting of only pancakes and eggs.

"Is Klaus gonna expect you to teach her spells?" asked Hayley, seeing that Eisa appeared to be feeling apathetic about Davina's arrival. "Is that why you're upset?"

Eisa blinked. "No, he didn't mention that. I simply... didn't wish to grow too concerned about it. They're giving her a room far from mine, they're moving her things for her. She appears to be tolerable. I'm not upset. I just... hardly give a damn."

Hayley's lips curled into a smile, and Eisa raised a brow, but said nothing. "So," said Hayley, "what are we gonna do today? Klaus and Marcel are out, all the vampires are babysitting us— well, me— and we're not supposed to go into town."

Eisa held up her fingers to count. "I have to give you a tour of this place. You need to pick a room for your daughter. You have to get new clothes and shoes. And why not—" she stopped, listening to an all-too-familiar voice, one she didn't expect to hear anywhere near the Compound.

"Gotta run for the hills," she heard Josh Rosza saying in the garage. "But I'm stuck here until it gets dark."

Eisa, having half a mind to help Josh escape Klaus's wrath, and another half wishing to rip his heart out, got up and made her way downstairs. Hayley followed behind, and was soon able to pick up on the conversation Eisa was listening to.

"Are you okay?" she heard Davina asking Josh gently.

"Yeah, yeah.... No. Not really. I mean, totally led Klaus into a trap that was the most epic fail of all time, so yeah, kinda crapping my pants right now. Figuratively. So far."

"It's okay," replied Davina, "you can trust Marcel. And if Klaus tries to hurt you— I'll hurt him."

"Please, darling," said Eisa, walking in and leaning against the nearest wall, "if you had the ability to hurt my brother, he wouldn't be out running his silly errands, now, would he?"

Davina did not acknowledge her much, granted the fact she'd already met her and was standing in her house. She seemed more interested in the wolf behind her. "You're Hayley. Klaus's wife."

"Ew, no," said Hayley quickly. "Never. I'm the pregnant werewolf. And you must be all-powerful superwitch, Davina? And let's not forget Josh, newbie vampire way out of his element, voted 'Most Likely to Die Next.'"

"Fantastic," said Josh nervously, looking at Eisa as if wondering whether this would be his last day on Earth.

"She won't hurt you," said Hayley, making Eisa shrug, as if she hadn't intended to hurt him to begin with. "Listen, I'm just another one of Klaus' prisoners. Of course, it would suck if he found out you're still lurking around. Maybe there's a world where we can all look out for each other? You two back me up, I back you up, mutualism, you know?"

"Does that mean she's protecting us?" asked Josh, gesturing to Eisa.

The Original shot him a cheeky smile. "Not a chance, darling, I'm merely sparing you. I'll protect you if you benefit me in one way or another."

"I'll be your number one fan?" suggested Josh awkwardly, holding one thumb up. "You're the only other gay vampire I know."

Eisa snorted. "Oh, wonderful. You'll be starting a fan club for me? I'm touched, really. Despite the fact your voice disrupted my breakfast, I'll allow it to slide, if you both look out for Hayley. My brother will not lay a hand on you or Davina if you agree to keep Hayley safe. Got it?"