27. Heartbreaking News

"Father, Ryder, Stephen," I greet trying to sound as innocent as possible, trying to pretend as if my temper tantrum never happened. The best way to get fathers approval is to play nice.

  "Veronica, what in the lords name came over you?" Father snarled I can tell full of anger and embarrassment before trying to rush up to me, only to be stopped by Ryders arm.

"I owe you all an apology. Truly I am sorry for my behavior, I let my heart run my actions, not my mind. I would be willing to sit down with the duke in the gardens, to talk with him some," I explain trying my hardest to mend the wound I have given my father's dignity.

I truly have no intentions for a courtship with the Duke of Avalon. If anything I am only agreeing to talk with Stephan to explain to him my true feelings. How my heart belongs to another man, if he is anything like his cousin, anything like my good friend Luke, I hope he will understand.

"Oh, well alright," Father replies I can tell caught off guard by my change of heart. I can tell still angry. if we hadn't had a guest in our presence I am sure I wouldn't hear the end of it.

"Ryder may chaperone, give me just a minute upstairs and I then will meet you outside in the courtyard," I explain directing my attention to Stephan.

To that he gracefully nods and agrees. I then watch as my brother and this new man walk through the main hall just for me to run upstairs.

Once in my chambers I give myself a second to breathe. A second to have completely by myself. After catching my breath and gaining some clarity I fix up my hair and then return downstairs. There I stroll out to the courtyards where I find Stephan and Ryder talking. The mist and rain has cleared.

"Hello," I greet, almost interrupting them to make my appearance known, "It's an honor," I continue directing my acknowledgements at Stephan before sitting across from him.

"It's an honor meeting you here, finally," Stephan replies with a smile on his face, one that just makes my blood boil because of how put together and perfect it is.

"I truly am sorry about my scene earlier. I just got spooked and well your appearance was sudden,"

"I guess I should understand. I've heard stories about you, stories from my cousin actually. I never thought I would get the chance to court you. Quite frankly I never thought you would be one to be in a courtship after hearing some of the stories," He smirks causing me to automatically burn red.

"Luke talked of me?" I hiccuped embarrassed and scared to know what my old friend said, "When? What did he say?"

"It was years back when you still were taking classes with him. Just the idea of you being there boggled his mind. Of course you two were quite close and Luke likes to talk,"

"He does doesn't he... but why would you want any sort of relationship with me after hearing of my time with that schooling. I mean I was anything but ladylike at the time. Most gentlemen would scare from the mention of my past alone. How I was named the diamond is beyond me," I ask.

"Because I need a new perspective in life. You see I am widowed and my previous wife was the most proper woman there was. As much as I loved and admired that about her. I feel as though finding someone solely from their manners would be like replacing her. I married once to go along with societies standards, now I just want to marry someone for personality outside of society's standards. Who knew that my eyes would be on the diamond of the season for such a desire,"

"Stephan... I am so sorry to hear of your wife," Is all I have the courage to reply. Somehow talking is making my confession of feelings harder and harder. I want to reply with good news for him but I couldn't do that to myself.

"Life will go in the direction it must," He replies with a weak smile.

"I agree with that wholeheartedly... which is why I must be honest with you Stephan. I am in love with another man. I want to marry him and he has plans to ask for my hand in marriage with my father's blessing. And I have to admit that with your attendance blessings will be harder to come by," I begin to explain managing to avoid eye contact, managing to stab the question through Stephan's heart quick as possible.

  "Oh," Is all he replies in the agonizing next few seconds which feel longer than years.

  "I am so sorry my lord. I am sorry for putting you in this situation. You are a good guy, maybe if we had met a month or two earlier my response would be different. But for now I must follow my mother's advice, I need to follow my heart,"

  "I should be the one to apologize Veronica, if I had known..." Stephan drags out sounding more positive than he should.

  "It's quite alright. There is no need for any apologies. Your judgment was based off of my fathers unreliable words. You didn't know any better, if anything I need to be the one feeling remorse," I mumble trying to ignore his happy tone considering the conversation.

  "No, your father already gave me his blessing and such. We have signed papers and made deals. You may be able to convince me to retreat from this exchange with ease but your father might not let go as easy as I," Stephan explains, every word coming out of his mouth hurting more and more.

  "Oh..." I squeak in disbelief and defeat. I swear I can feel my heart shatter into a million pieces, "What will I do now?" I continue to whisper.

  "I can try my best to talk with your father but I cannot promise anything,"

  "I don't know what has gotten into him lately. He used to care for my feelings so much more, at least I thought he did. As of now it feels like he is just trying to sell me to the highest bidder, the opposite of what my mom and I wanted. ,"

  "I am so sorry," Stephan repeats, once again sounding to gleeful considering the situation. I feel as if his attitude should make me feel better of the situation. But all I feel is uneasiness.

  "No it's okay. It's just frustrating and I am scared," I reply fighting back tears, "Now excuse me, i'm going to go do some thinking,"

  "As you wish," The duke replies as I take my leave avoiding eye contact with my brother as I approach the door.

***

  I manage to lock myself in my room for the majority of the night. Frantically, I look through old medical textbooks for relief. The weathered pages always seem to calm me down. My mind has almost forgotten about having to break the awful news to Anthony... just almost. God how am I going to do that.

  After keeping my mind busy with textbooks for quite awhile in the hopes of getting my mind off of the mess that is my life, I decide to wonder the halls of my suddenly cold house. My heart aches with anxiety and sadness. Just as the urge to cry begins to creep into my soul the doorbell rings.

  My heart stops as I wonder who it could be. I know that my heart will not be able to handle another surprise visit from a new man.

  Letting my curiosity and desperation get the best of me I wonder to the edge of the hall to watch as Matilda opens the door.

  To my greatest relief I see Luke Chambers of all people. The one man who may be able to make me feel better without causing my heart to break.

  "Luke!" I cheer not realizing how badly I am in need of a friend.

  "Veronica, I heard the news of you and my cousin... we need  to talk," He replies his face more grim than usual.

  What does he mean by talk? I wonder as a suddenly grim feeling drags my stomach to the pit of my stomach.

__________________________________
Hi! I hope everyone enjoyed this chapter, and I must apologize for taking so long to update! But I also have to thank you guys for practically hitting 20k reads! I will try to update within the next week, until then remember to vote and comment letting me know your thoughts on Stephan!