PROLOGUE

It wasn't supposed to rain that night. There were no storms in the forecast all week. Yet, there I was, drenched from head to toe. Every flash of lighting that tore across the sky caused my heart to pound faster and faster. With every nearby building closed, I darted towards the nearest shelter I could find; a dimly lit alleyway.

Fight it... You have to fight it...

Back pressed against the brick wall, I wearily withdrew my fists from my pockets.

Just ignore it... Breathe...

Another flash of lighting darted across the sky. The shaking of my hands grew worse as my breathing sped up.

"Ophelia?"

That voice. I hadn't heard it in so long. The sound caused memories to come flooding back; memories I had tried so hard to forget.

"Ophelia, it's me."

Slowly, I lifted my head and met the eyes of the speaker. Natasha Romanoff stood at the entrance of the alleyway sheltered under an umbrella.

"Stay back..." I mumbled.

"It's okay, I'm here to help you." Natasha said calmly.

Despite my attempts to control it, my clenched fists began to glow. I hastily turned my head away from Natasha.

"You need to leave..."

"Ophelia, let me help you."

I shook my head, holding my fists to my chest. A single tear slid down my cheek as my urge to fight grew weaker. I slid down against the wall, bringing my knees to my chest once I met the ground. My whole body was shaking. I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"You can control it. You're stronger than you realise." Natasha said.

When I made no signs of resisting, she slowly sat down beside me.

"You need to stop isolating yourself, it's not doing you any favours. I promise you, if you come back, we can help you deal with this."

Tears streaming down my face, I nodded my head.

"Help me." I whispered.

Natasha took my hand and helped me up. With a comforting smile on her face, she pulled me into her arms.

I do not own any of the Marvel characters, all rights go to their creators. I only own Ophelia Madden and her story.