Chapter 27

-Emiko POV-

But it was too late...
He used the pass and Aomine managed to stop it...
"Did you think the same move would work against me twice?" said Aomine. "Try not to disappoint me so much, Tetsu. If this is your answer to defeating me, I'll make it clear. It's a useless effort"

Aomine grabbed the ball and scored again...
Wakamatsu stole the ball from Izuki and scored again...
'Clock, please stop...'

When the ball finally went out, our time out was called.
I gave Tetsuya a towel and sat down next to him...
He was defeated...

"First things first, Kuroko-kun, you're out" said Riko.
"Okay" said Tetsuya defeated.
"Now listen up, everyone" said Riko. "There's something I noticed watching the flow of the game"

I wasn't listening, I was looking at Tetsuya, who was breathing heavily...
He bolted his fists...
"Damn it" he whispered, he was crying... "Damn it"

I laid my hand over his fist, he relaxed a little bit and I bounded my fingers with his.
I felt him squeezing my hand so tight that it hurt, but I didn't care.
I wanted to show him I was there to support him... I wanted him to rely on me for once...

"It's not useless, stupid" said Kagami and laid a hand on Tetsuya's head. "Everyone believes you'll come back. Don't give up this time. While you're sitting out, I'll show him. There's no such thing as useless effort"

The game began again, Tetsuya didn't let go of my hand.
"You'll be back out there, Tetsu" I said and he looked at me. "I know you will"
Kagami passed to Kiyoshi, who managed to score.

'A change of pace' I thought when I saw Aomine go one-on-one with Kagami.
Kagami was relaxed...
'Here it comes' I thought when I saw Aomine.

But... Kagami managed to block Aomine's shot...
"You're kidding" I whispered in disbelief.
Even Tetsuya was surprised.

'Did seeing Tetsuya lose... unleash Kagami's full strength?'
Seeing them play was unbelievable...
Aomine went faster and faster, but Kagami was able to keep up most of the time.

Aomine scored behind his back.
"He's still an annoying show off" I said.
Kagami managed to score.

"Kagami's evenly matched with Aomine" said Tsuchida.
We couldn't keep our eyes off them...

And then... Kagami blocked one of Aomine's formless shots...
I gripped Tetsuya's hand a bit tighter.
'Is Kagami... better than Aomine?'

We were two points behind...
Kagami went for a forced shot, but Aomine got a finger on it, making him miss.
The second quarter ended...

-Kagami POV-

"Where's Kuroko?" I asked to Maeda.
"He went outside for a bit" she said. "Give him this, will you? He went outside without his jacket, the idiot"
She smiled and I understood it.

"Got it" I said and went outside.
I found Kuroko outside and threw his jacket on him.
"You'll get a cold, idiot" I said.

"Kagami-kun" he said.
"If you don't come back soon, the second half will start" I said.
"Sorry, I'll be there soon" he said and put on his jacket.

"Hey, what were you just thinking about?" I asked. "It doesn't look like you need cheering up, but you didn't just come out here for some air"
"Kagami-kun, do you like basketball?" he asked.
"What?" I asked, why would he ask such a stupid question?

"I wasn't thinking about anything complicated" he said. "I'd do anything to win this game. I have my promise to Momoi-san, but, the truth is, I just want to see it again. Aomine-kun always played with a smile. He truly loved basketball. I don't inted to reject who he is now nor put him down. I just... I just want to see Aomine-kun play with a smile again. If we win this game, maybe..."

"Who knows?" I said. "People aren't that simple. I don't know if winning will change who he is. But losing definitely won't change anything. The only thing we can do is play as hard as we can to win. And if we win, you should tell Maeda how you feel"
"Heh?" he said and blushed.

"You heard me" I said. "She's worried about you right now. You don't let a pretty girl like her guess or wait like that. You're in love with her, aren't you?"
"Yes" he admitted silently.
"Well then, what are you waiting for?!" I asked. "Tell her after the game, before it's too late"
He nodded and I smiled.