Chapter Five

Josie

I wake in the morning with a text from Amelia.

Meet me here at nine. Don't be late.

I sit up, glancing at the time. It's eight-forty. Shit!

Why didn't she tell me last night that she was going to need me today?

I didn't think my work would start until the tour.

As I rush out of my bed and throw on a sundress, then my hair into a bun, I press the button on my Keurig to make me a coffee while I head to brush my teeth and put on deodorant.

I'm ready and in a cab in under ten minutes, which has to be an all-time record for me.

I managed to slap on bb cream and mascara, but other than that, I'm barefaced.

That's not exactly how I want to see my ex-boyfriend, but it'll have to do.

I exhale and lean against the seat of the taxi. Life doesn't even feel real anymore.

What are the chances that the one person whose job I applied for happens to be Hudson's manager? Or lover?

Shit, they looked like both.

I hated the feeling it gave me to watch him kiss her. It isn't like I thought he would never be with anyone again. I mean, I broke up with him. He's got every right to move on.

It's just weird seeing him now.

Sure, I've seen him on billboards and TV a couple times. I knew he was out there killing the game and getting everything he ever wanted.

I guess apart of me froze him in time, though. Like I thought that if I went back to Atlanta and knocked on his apartment door, he would answer and pull me in for a kiss.

That was a stupid part of me that held onto the fantasy, but now it's gone.

Now, I know he really has moved on. And good for him.

I wish it didn't hurt.

It's not like I could be with him even if he did still want me after all this time.

I'm thankful all the paperwork and the entire tour is so private because hopefully Trey won't figure out who I'm really working for.

Maybe I'm being naïve. I'm sure its inevitable. All I can do is hope with all the security around Hudson, Trey won't be able to get to him.

The taxi pulls up to the address at nine-o-two.

I rush inside the building, which looks to be more of an abandoned warehouse.

"Oh, good. You finally made it. Is there a reason you're late?"

"Sorry." I rush, falling in line to walk beside Amelia.

I hear music coming from somewhere to my right, but she's marching us left.

"They decided to have an impromptu music video shoot. I've been here since six. Here." We stop at a table and she hands me a list. "I need you to take care of all of this by five PM. Then, go to your apartment and pack. The tour buses leave from the hotel you met me at yesterday at eleven PM. We're busy over the next couple of days prepping for the tour, it will be a lot of errands and checklists. This is the credit card. If anyone questions you, tell them to call me."

Amelia's list looks to be insanely long. I open my mouth to ask a few questions, but she's gone when I look back up.

Pack and leave tonight? I thought I had a few days! I'm not prepped at all.