46. Valentine

Serena

This had been a busy week.

I couldn't complain since busy meant more customers, but it still makes for a lot of work and also took time away from other things that needed to be sorted out.

I knew that it would only get busier with Valentine's Day approaching soon.

From the last few years I had realised when business would have more footfall and which would be a more quiet period of time.

The couple of weeks after Valentine's were busy. I knew that people would often receive a proposal that day, but some brides seemed to want to find a dress soon after. Again, I couldn't complain since it was great business.

I had to be prepared before both the stores got busy, so for most of today I had be in the back office, trying to sort through paperwork.

Just as I picked up another file to work through, there was a knock at the door and then Arya's head poked through.

"Serena, you have some visitors," she smiled.

I gave her a questioning look but nodded anyway. Arya doesn't smile a lot and that alone gave me an indication as to who my visitor was.

When I stepped onto the shop floor, I saw Liam and Bea.

Suddenly, my day just got a lot better.

Both of them turned their heads in my direction, weirdly in sync, and immediately I saw Bea grin and begin to run towards me.

I crouched down quickly when she launched herself at me.

"Hi, bumblebee," I hugged her tightly.

She leaned back and wiggle her nose. "Buzz, buzz."

I stood up, carrying her in my arms and then looked at Liam, who had now walked towards us.

"Hi," I smiled.

He didn't greet me, instead he raised a brow in question. Was he not going to say hello?

Before I could say anything further about it, he leaned in and kissed my cheek, causing my entire face to heat up.

"Hi," he said.

Bea giggled, covering her mouth with her hands, and looking at me. Annoyingly, Liam grinned with her, finding my stunned and reddened face amusing.

There was a child present. What was he doing?

Deciding to play it cool, I just cleared my throat and tried to act nonchalant about it. Even if my face was a dead giveaway.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked.

"Bea just finished school and she wanted to see you," Liam said. "And so did I," he added.

I looked at Liam, trying to convey the words 'what are you doing?' with my eyes, only for him to wink at me.

"I wanted to show you my cards," Bea spoke up.

"What cards?" I asked.

"My Valentine's Day cards," she grinned.

I blinked slowly, a little surprised by her words. She was such a little thing, I didn't think she even knew what Valentine's Day was or let alone receive cards for it.

"Wait. What?" Liam asked her.

Well, clearly he wasn't aware of this.

"I got so many," Bea told us, holding her arms wide open to show us how many.