Chapter 55

The following day, Mia was on her way to class when she bumped into her friend on the corridor.

"Hey," Daisy greeted her with a big smile.

"Ah, hi," Mia nodded while fixing the strap of her bag on her shoulder. "What's up?"

"I'm on my way to Charms," the Hufflepuff shrugged. "You?"

"Potions," Mia answered with a straight face. "We're making Amortentia."

Daisy's face lit up. "Ooh, exciting! Speaking of Amortentia... Do you have a partner to go to the Ball with yet?"

Mia looked down. "Well... I'm going with... James..." She said, making Daisy's jaw drop. "Only as friends, though!" She added quickly. "Why, who are you going with?"

"Uh... I sort of happened to say yes to... Isaac," she said quietly.

"What?!" Mia's eyes widened. "Isaac?! Why would you do that?!"

"Oh hush, you're going with James!" Daisy tried defending herself.

Mia crossed her arms. "Yeah, fair enough... But still, Isaac? He's... kind of weird."

"Well, he was the first person to ask me, plus he's quite good-looking, actually... I don't see why I couldn't go with him."

"It's your choice," Mia shrugged. "What about Jason?"

"Ah, Jace said that he's going with his Gryffindor friends," Daisy answered.

"I see... well then, I'll see you later," Mia took a step away from her.

"Yeah, sure. Happy brewing!" Daisy waved at her, then started walking in the opposite direction.

Sighing, Mia continued her way towards the dungeons with heavy steps. When she arrived, she noticed her classmates standing on the dark corridor next to the door of the Potions classroom.

"Hello, Mia!" Nathan greeted her cheerfully. "How are you?"

She gave him a forced smile. "Fine, you?"

"Oh, I'm doing better than great, did you know that –"

"Sage asked him out to the Ball," Max cut him off, rolling his eyes.

"Hey, man," Nathan gave him a disappointed look. "I was just about to tell her..."

"I know," Mia nodded. "She told me already. You seem really happy."

"He's being annoyingly happy," Max huffed. "He just can't seem to shut up about it."

"You would do the same if a girl like Sage asked you out," Nathan narrowed his eyes at the Ravenclaw.

Max scoffed. "If Sage asked me out, I would start rethinking my life choices."

Nathan gasped. "What do you mean?! She's amazing!"

"Amazingly irritating, more like," Max shot back.

"I thought you were friends," the Hufflepuff frowned.

"They are," Mia nodded.

"Then why is he being like this?" Nathan asked her.

"Because he's Max," she shrugged.

"Well... either way, I'm going with Sage, and I'm really happy about it," Nathan stated.

"Yeah, congrats," Max patted him on the shoulder. "Let's go," he gestured towards the door that just opened.

The three of them walked inside and took their usual spots around one of the tables. Mia was looking at Mason when she noticed James rushing inside from the corner of her eye.